Motorbike Trials.

Luke_zoo

Did they make the 88 with a red frame? Mine's an 88 but it's white framed. :S

I am definately keeping the bike forever. They're only sluggish because of the massive crank and flywheel weights and the port timings, once they're seen too it's alllll good. :P

yea pretty sure they did. Yours might have a pinky frame. Be carefull if your planning on having the inlet manifold shortend, dads pinky had the mod done and we always had problems overheating. Could have just been us being unlucky.

For £600 i would seriously look at getting a beta techno. Solid reliable bikes and will go on forever. £800 will get you a 1999 or 1998 with change.

I got into it about a year ago and got a 1999 beta techno 250 for £600.

It was really good but a bit snappy hard to control at very slow speeds .

I now have a 2005 beta rev 3 its much smoother and lighter and turning iS much tighter.

I would say get the best bike you can with your money but make sure you have some left over for repairing it!

I fell off lots when i started broke levers and gear lever almost every time i went out because i was going nuts up hills far to steep.

Beta = well made BUT have sticky clutch problem but its a easy fix

GASGAS = not well made but ride very nice

Scorpa = very good and has yam engine

Montesa = well made but out of date and has very good honda engine

Thats what i would stick with

250 if your 16 or older for local comps a 125 will do most of it but a 250 is best all rounder

Edited by matt_urban

I now have a 2005 beta rev 3 its much smoother and lighter and turning iS much tighter.

I would say get the best bike you can with your money but make sure you have some left over for repairing it!

I fell off lots when i started broke levers and gear lever almost every time i went out because i was going nuts up hills far to steep.

250 if your 16 or older for local comps a 125 will do most of it but a 250 is best all rounder

Did you have the fast (white) or slow (black) throtle tube? I have a techno and it is quite smooth, but agreed no way near a rev3.

As for the sticky cluch on betas, Drop the gear oil once every 6-7 rides and replace with silkolene light gear oil. Job done. (Y)

yea pretty sure they did. Yours might have a pinky frame. Be carefull if your planning on having the inlet manifold shortend, dads pinky had the mod done and we always had problems overheating. Could have just been us being unlucky.

Nah mines matching numbers so I doubt it, it's an original UK one though, thinking about it yours might have been a Jap import? Think they kept the red frames for 88.

Here's mine when it looked nice after the first rebuild, tis a lot tattier now. :P

RIMG00232.jpg

The forks should be white, some knob has sanded the paintwork off them. Rather badly aswell although I spent a while tidying it it.

My bedroom during the second rebuild :P :

bedroomfloor.jpg

Edited by Muel

Scorpa seem ok? My mates said to me that Scorpa are crap! But there is a guy near mine who is selling a Scorpa 250 2000 modle is it really worth 800 as it is 10years old and clutch is not working.

Nah mines matching numbers so I doubt it, it's an original UK one though, thinking about it yours might have been a Jap import? Think they kept the red frames for 88.

Here's mine when it looked nice after the first rebuild, tis a lot tattier now. :P

RIMG00232.jpg

The forks should be white, some knob has sanded the paintwork off them. Rather badly aswell although I spent a while tidying it it.

bedroomfloor.jpg

How long you think it will take you to get it build up Muel?

Edited by Luke_zoo

It took me about 2 weeks to strip it, do the jobs it needed and rebuild it, they're incredibly easy bikes to work with, didn't really need rebuilding but I did anyway because I wanted to check the frame for any more cracks, it has a couple of nice big ones but I'm just keeping an eye on them, they havn't grown yet no matter how much I jump it and stuff. :P

One day I'll get them welded and get it all powdercoated and looking nice.

Depends which club and events you do, I also find that riding an older bike and wearing jeans, they never talk to you. :P

I really hate them though, there's one lad who's Dad is one of them wankers that clean their bikes for them and run in front of them through each section, and whenever I see him when we're practicing he has to try everything I do. Not being all dramatic either, this has been going on for about 3 years, if I'm trying a big step, he starts doing it aswell, yet he's never spoken a word to me. :S

LMFAO!

bedroomfloor.jpg

Sam you are a star dude.

This thread has made me wanna do mototrials again, thanks dudes.

I'm gonna get a new bike.

Last bike I had (10 yrs ago! Jesus!) was a beta 250 about 1999 the Dougie Lampkin replica thingy. It was cool but I think I'm gonna get a 125.

I went through loads of bikes whenI started just buying shitters and fixing them and dropping them and fixing them. I once swapped a 2 mars bars and a yorkie for one shitter then I got a fantic 200 aircooled, it was shit.

Then I had a few beta's which had the sticky clutch issue which pissed me right off, then the pigs cracked down on off road riding in Swansea so I stopped.

Now I live in the sticks where all is good with the off road motorcycle scene, I hadn't thought of it till I read this.

So I am in the same position as this guy, no clue at all what to get but that scorpa looks cool. Only ever had 2 stroke whats the dealio with the 4 stroke? They must be a good bit heavier eh?

More reliable? More torque?

I am tres excited with this plan.

Wow! just watched that vid of Toni Bou training!

Moto trials techniques have steamed ahead of what they were last time I took notice.

Can I see alot of influence from bike trials or has the influence come from mototrials?

Oh yeah and how much do these bikes cost these days?

Edited by Matt Vandart

Good stuff Matt, my mate has a Fantic 200 twinshock. Second worse bike I've ever ridden after my old TY175, the Fantic isn't a 200, it's actually a 156cc, so it's useless.

We had a 1p bet on a trial though and he beat me on it by about 20 marks. :( (I can't deal with slippy stuff for shit).

Good stuff Matt, my mate has a Fantic 200 twinshock. Second worse bike I've ever ridden after my old TY175, the Fantic isn't a 200, it's actually a 156cc, so it's useless.

We had a 1p bet on a trial though and he beat me on it by about 20 marks. :( (I can't deal with slippy stuff for shit).

I know, it was a gutless wonder!

Newer 125's have gotta be better though eh.

Good choice, IIRC they have a Yamaha TYZ engine? They're not as strong as the air cooled mono engines but still very strong by modern standards, I looked into getting a TYZ once but decided to stick with mine.

Good choice, IIRC they have a Yamaha TYZ engine? They're not as strong as the air cooled mono engines but still very strong by modern standards, I looked into getting a TYZ once but decided to stick with mine.

£700-£800 with clutch stuck... maybe he could drop the price a little has he is not going to fix it.

I know, it was a gutless wonder!

Newer 125's have gotta be better though eh.

You thought about a Scorpa 125f? With a few minor adjustments you can get plenty of power out of them. Fairly cheap as well.

I'm looking to sell mine fairly soon actually, I've got to the stage where I need more power now, the 125 is awesome and I love it to bits, but I just need that extra bit more power. Been looking at the Scorpa 250f's, but they are quite expensive, might just try and get a 250 2t instead. I've also got this that I might sell too to fund a new bike. But again this is mad fun, it's so awesome for just playing about on.

You thought about a Scorpa 125f? With a few minor adjustments you can get plenty of power out of them. Fairly cheap as well.

I'm looking to sell mine fairly soon actually, I've got to the stage where I need more power now, the 125 is awesome and I love it to bits, but I just need that extra bit more power. Been looking at the Scorpa 250f's, but they are quite expensive, might just try and get a 250 2t instead. I've also got this that I might sell too to fund a new bike. But again this is mad fun, it's so awesome for just playing about on.

selling it ;)