Mod Stock Or 24" ?

i am looking at getting my first trials bike as im doing trials on my dmr. i am 13 and about 5.6 ft. i would idealy want a 24" but i cant find anything in my price range so i thought about getting a mod and then had a brain storm a minute ago that i could get a stock with disk mount on the front and use that for a bit and then get a 24" frame and wheels because every thing else would fit wouldnt it ? so im kind of a bit confused on what to do, HELP!!!!

If i was you, considering your 5ft 6 and a beginner i would get a mod, there alot more flicky, then after a while when you have progressed maybe sell your mod and buy a stock or 24 (Y)

+1

Even the shorter stocks, you'll look funny on a stock because they're large. not to say you wouldn't be able to ride it, but it will be easier for you on a mod simply because of it's size.

24" are great, but 24" aren't really geared towards pure trials either, so unless you plan on doing a lot of streety stuff, I would cross out 24's from your list.

Also, mods are generally cheaper to build up. And you can use everything from your mod as well sans the stem and cranks.

If you're wanting to really go on the cheap, use the parts from your DMR and just buy a frame with the minimal of parts to get it built "trialsy"

+1

Even the shorter stocks, you'll look funny on a stock because they're large. not to say you wouldn't be able to ride it, but it will be easier for you on a mod simply because of it's size.

24" are great, but 24" aren't really geared towards pure trials either, so unless you plan on doing a lot of streety stuff, I would cross out 24's from your list.

Also, mods are generally cheaper to build up. And you can use everything from your mod as well sans the stem and cranks.

If you're wanting to really go on the cheap, use the parts from your DMR and just buy a frame with the minimal of parts to get it built "trialsy"

from how i interpreted his post to start the topic, if he's ideally wanting a 24"...a stock would share more similarities than a mod? it would definately make the switch to a 24" much more natural

there hasnt really been any specific style of riding mentioned, but you'd think with the mention of a 24"...a more rolling/street type...maybe thats just me? (id have assumed a couple of searches or research was done about the differences between mod and stock before the topic was posted)

the fourplay i believe has been used by one of the top guys in trials competition...with success too, so ruling it out because it isnt a 'pure' trials bike doesnt really hold

either way, whichever you decide to choose...going second hand will mean you can get a pretty good package for alot less money, and perhaps give you the option of both

oh ye, sorry i will be doing street like drops, stairs, manuals and all that stuff only because i already do street on my bmx with a bit of trials on a bmx so its prety hard but i think i might just go straight for the 24" as i have the money to be able to buy a second hand one, and if i got a stock then i would probably end up spending the rest of the money walst i got a stock. thanks for everyones advice.

chris

I've not rode a mod for years and they were never my cup of tea so i don't know a great deal about them because i've always sticked with stocks. However, i recently got myself a 24" and i completely love it so i have sold my stock. The transition has been nice and easy with no fuss. It might well be the same with mod, i don't know, but i'd just go with what you favour and have taken a shine to and just get it. I think it's very much down to individual preference and these things can easily get over thought and complicated - something i do regularly. (Y)