Magura Crack

FINDUS

Just cleaned my bike for the first time to find a crack in my magura clamp :angry:

Its the Echo SL http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/product.php?pr...;category_id=74

Anybody else had this happen or is it just me?

They have worked so well for the past few months but at almost £38 for a new set im thinking would i notice the diffrence on a lower grade clamp?

Any thoughts would be great (Y)

I'm thinking about making some cheese on toast. :)

On a serious note, mine did snap, i did the bolts up too tight though so i have only myself to blame.

Huuum cheese on toast with a little black pepper :D

So what do you replace the broken on with?

same again?

Nothing, I havent replaced it yet as i need a new frame, rear wheel, chain and maggie mount.

Lots to get then

Would you sell me the non broken clamp? what colour is it?

:$

Where's the crack? Got a pic?

Will get some pics up tomoz if i have time.

the crack is from the screw hole right up to the middle of the clamp.

its a strage looking crack as the metal is discoloured.

Here are some pics of the crack.. i have been doing some reading on the material used and it could be down the extreme cold we have had. the magura is one material against another and possible have moved enough to cause stress to the break and to me!

IMAG0040.jpg

IMAG0041.jpg

You do realise these clamps are designed to be used with plastic/metal washers right?

http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/product.php?pr...;category_id=74

I've got these clamps and there is no sign of them cracking or breaking with the split metal washers in place. There's no gaps and the bolts are as tight as I dare without stripping the threads. My brake has never moved with these clamps either.

Edit: On closer inspection it does look like you've got the washers in place. So I'm confused now ha ha.

Edited by Al_Fel

You do realise these clamps are designed to be used with plastic/metal washers right?

http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/product.php?pr...;category_id=74

I've got these clamps and there is no sign of them cracking or breaking with the split metal washers in place. There's no gaps and the bolts are as tight as I dare without stripping the threads. My brake has never moved with these clamps either.

Edit: On closer inspection it does look like you've got the washers in place. So I'm confused now ha ha.

Yeah have had the metal washers in place since day one.. perfect until now. im glad your confused it confirms im not going mad.

by some clamps then, obviously. theres nothing you can do with them unless you want to risk running with a cracked clamp.

I know i need to buy new ones but im wanting to know if this is a one off! if so i will buy the same clamps again :S

When you do get new clamps try using 2-3mm of insulating tape instead of the plastic washers. you wont have to do the clamps up quite as tight, and once they've been done up the tape moulds itself to the clamps so that the slaves wont move.

Even if i use the metal shims??

The only thing I can think of now is that your frame is flexing shit loads when you pull the brake hard. The twisting motion of the wheel trying to pull through might just have caused your clamps to crack. That's all I can think of.

The only thing I can think of now is that your frame is flexing shit loads when you pull the brake hard. The twisting motion of the wheel trying to pull through might just have caused your clamps to crack. That's all I can think of.

You might be right. not sure how much flex there is on a leeson 24 to me it feels pretty solid back there.. i guess we will never know.

I have just sent for a new set and hope that this time all will be good :D

• 4 weeks later...

how can you guys say what is too tight just from looking at it. :S

i do my clamps up fairly f**kin tight and have steel inserts in my frame so i do them up tighter still. only ever use magura clamps. had so blue echo ones a couple of years ago and never had any problems with them. to be honest i reckon it is the metal spacers, good idea but maybe too hard a material for the clamps, plastic would probably be better