Magura Being A Pain In The Ass.

hdmackay

Depending on what anti-freeze and wter you use, you could be dissolving the seals. Maggies are bled with OIL!! like in disk brakes, using the wrong types of oil e.g mineral or dot, will dissolve the seals. You could have perished the seals, thus pushing black crap through the brake system. The smallest bit of grit or dirt in the brake will stop full return. We've seen this problem at work many times, with disks and maggies so id get rid of water and antifreeze and start using oil with new seals and a full, deep, clean. Toby

You won't have seen any Maguras with water and antifreeze perishing the seals. It doesn't do that at all. If it did, it would f**k up every car's windscreen wipers (if you're pikey and use antifreeze mixed with water as screen wash like me and Ali) and seals, which, at the last time I checked on my car, it doesn't. Water and antifreeze won't 'perish' your seals either. It just doesn't happen. I can't really stress that enough...

You could have perished the seals, thus pushing black crap through the brake system.

What? That doesn't make any sense!

Just as a side note, there's a pretty big (and obvious when you think about it) reason that water obviously wouldn't work with discs, even if you had a mineral oil disc brake system.

Some seals, and rubber types are more suseptable to perishing through using the wrong liquids. Thats why you have to use different oils in different brakes! Anti-freeze, will perish seals. Seals in cars, are made of different rubbers, like using brake fluid through seals, car brake fluid would dissolve normal seals! You learn this on hydraulic brake servicing courses for cars and bikes alike! Maguras use a very soft seal, thats why they use mineral oil and not dot fluid. Anti freezes compounds have a similar corrosive properties to dot fluid. Thats why they tell you to wash off anti freeze from car paint because it dissolves it! Water is thinner than oils, possibly pass seals too!

Toby

Water is thinner than oils, possibly pass seals too!

No it doesn't! Water is absolutely fine in Maguras! It doesn't 'possibly pass seals' at all. Anti-freeze also doesn't do anything to the seals in a Magura either.

You don't need to go on a servicing course to know that Dot fluid brakes aren't compatible with mineral oil, and vice versa.

Anti-freeze (in strong concentrations) dissolving car paint has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with seals.

I'll say it again: Water will not 'pass through seals'. Water will not 'perish' the seals. Water will not f**k your Magura.

No it doesn't! Water is absolutely fine in Maguras! It doesn't 'possibly pass seals' at all. Anti-freeze also doesn't do anything to the seals in a Magura either.

You don't need to go on a servicing course to know that Dot fluid brakes aren't compatible with mineral oil, and vice versa.

Anti-freeze (in strong concentrations) dissolving car paint has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with seals.

I'll say it again: Water will not 'pass through seals'. Water will not 'perish' the seals. Water will not f**k your Magura.

Ok i do understand you point mate. I have used water and anti-freeze before myself, worked fine for ages, until it got sluggish and i re-bled to find loads of black crap in the syringes.

Magura, and disk brake companies, bleed their brakes with the fluid designed for them, and the make-up and parts of the brake. Thats why they come with oil, (plus if your avid or shimano loads of air!)

Each to their own, i know people prefer the feel of water and antifreeze, just some stuff does have corrosive properties thats all were saying!

Toby

That's a mixture of aluminium and emulsified oil residue, nothing to do with the water. If you put mineral oil in there you'd get the same thing.

Ahh didn't know that!! We're just advising from a professional bike shop point of view. Offering our point that brakes are supposed to be bled with correct oil, as specified by manufacturer, also to honour warrantys, like avid and magura leakproof warrantys. Toby

Thats why they come with oil,

Discs can't run water for obvious reasons, and if you live in a sub zero climate then a water bleed probably wouldn't be ideal so they couldn't really send them out with water in.

Also, when you look at their prices for oil, you couldn't make that much markup on a bottle of water ;)

Oh yeah, of course, you can't recommend a customer bleeds a brake with water without letting them know the effects on their warranty!

Haha yeah, we have enough problems with hydraulic brake warrantys as it is! Customers presuming that oil is oil, no matter what type it is. Even what you explain for hours the differences it goes nowhere!

Mark - Yeah, true although some local supermarkets around here would challenge that!

Edited by HargrovesToby

Discs can't run water for obvious reasons, and if you live in a sub zero climate then a water bleed probably wouldn't be ideal so they couldn't really send them out with water in.

Also, when you look at their prices for oil, you couldn't make that much markup on a bottle of water ;)

Unless you enjoy your brake fluid boiling every 5 minutes :D