Onza Internal Headset

stunt man t

I have a 2005 onza T-pro frame which has a onza internal headset in at the moment..

i want to make it light so was thinking of puting a monty one on (weighs 100g)

but if the onza one is lighter then theres no point changing it...

is the monty one the lightest? or is there another one which is even lighter?

how much does the onza one weigh? i cant find the weight of the onza one anywhere (N)

thanks for youre help :D x

Edited by stunt man t

to be honest how much weight are you actually going to save on a headset whats the point in spending like 50 quid if you dont need to buy something thats gunna actually save weight or just hold onto your money and get some cranks or summert

in all fairness .. an 05 onza t pro is hardly light weight , a headset isnt going to make a noticable differance ..

The frames are 1.6kg lol. They're actually very light already. :P

But no, a headset won't make any real difference. You'll save more usually by changing tires, wheels, forks, cranks/bb, bar/stem etc. Depending on what you have now.

Edited by Muel

in all fairness .. an 05 onza t pro is hardly light weight , a headset isnt going to make a noticable differance ..

the frame weighs approx 1.2kg

thanks to my trusty drill and angle grinder :P

But no, a headset won't make any real difference. You'll save more usually by changing tires, wheels, forks, cranks/bb, bar/stem etc. Depending on what you have now.

reset ti BB? tryall carbon bars? monty stem? koxx forks? echo TR rims brakes ? monty cranks?

Edited by stunt man t

t-pros ride like they weigh f**k all anyway my mates old one had like a full deng build, i could still throw it around like it was nothing. what sorta parts you got on it at the moment ?

that answers that then why would you want anything else must weigh nowt

Edited by WIGAN

reset ti BB? tryall carbon bars? monty stem? koxx forks? echo TR rims brakes ? monty cranks?

No it doesn't, not a chance. :lol:

I have one here I cracked and lightened to get some practice at it, I couldn't get it below 1.6kg. I cut off the bash mounts, cut the dropouts down, drilled the dropouts etc. Was going to cut a hole in the headtube aswell but got bored.

If that's the spec, just ride it lol, theres nothing wrong with it. It's gotta be under 8.5kg with that spec, unless you have super heavy wheels, tires and forks.

Edited by Muel

I have one here I cracked and lightened to get some practice at it, I couldn't get it below 1.6kg. I cut off the bash mounts, cut the dropouts down, drilled the dropouts etc. Was going to cut a hole in the headtube aswell but got bored.

If that's the spec, just ride it lol, theres nothing wrong with it. It's gotta be under 8.5kg with that spec, unless you have super heavy wheels, tires and forks.

if it weighd 1.6kg then its gotta be around that with all the metal ive cut off it :P

the wheels are super light :D

anyway back to the topic: if the monty headset is 20g lighter then the onza one then its worth buying (Y)

if it weighd 1.6kg then its gotta be around that with all the metal ive cut off it :P

the wheels are super light :D

anyway back to the topic: if the monty headset is 20g lighter then the onza one then its worth buying (Y)

It's somewhat pathetic.

Just get plastic pedals, do a poo before you ride, ride naked. 20 measly grams. .. What if you break your T-Pro? Well, you will for sure. What's going to become of your headset? Most frames don't use internal. Think longer term

You'd really change your headset to save 20g? Unless you're winning comps regularly at a high level there really is no point.

yh whats wrong with that? the shop will do it and i wont have to get my hands dirty ;)

have u never cut the nobbles off ur tyres??

it takes ages and it dont save that much weight

so i dont see whats wrong with changing the headset :-

anyway................CAN WE PLEASE STAY ON TOPIC (Y)

Errmm, actually takes like 20 mins, saves a lot of weight.... Yes I've done 4 tires. Saved over 250g in total on my stock. Drilling the sidewall of my front rim took 2 hours and saved 18g, now that's pointless.

EDIT: But yeh, bac on topic...

Edited by Muel

haha sureeee

Muel speaks truth, mine weighs in at 1.7 with bash I thinks?

Anyways....internal headsets are all pretty similar...i mean youve only got a certain amount of space, so you cant really make the bearings any smaller/bigger.

Spec list would be better and we could say what would be worth changing. A Trialtech lite (KMC Z601h) would save you some weight against most other chains as well :)

Muel's correct. You silly billy. If you're really that obsessed with saving weight, almost every other component would be a better way to save it. 20g off a headset? Screw that, you wouldn't even notice it.

Go do yourself a favour and buy a kevlar folding BMX flatland tyre, some weigh less than 400g. That's almost a third the weight of your current front tyre.

Spec list would be better and we could say what would be worth changing. A Trialtech lite (KMC Z601h) would save you some weight against most other chains as well :)

ive got 1 of those :P:lol:

Muel's correct. You silly billy. If you're really that obsessed with saving weight, almost every other component would be a better way to save it. 20g off a headset? Screw that, you wouldn't even notice it.

Go do yourself a favour and buy a kevlar folding BMX flatland tyre, some weigh less than 400g. That's almost a third the weight of your current front tyre.

do they do a 19" for the rear wheel? :D

hurray finaly a answer (Y)

ill get a monty 1 then ;)

love u xxxxxxx

an then tell us all you can feel the differance :P its a couple of grams .. yes , changing echo tr rims to try all holes is worth it , and you will notice the differance .. but your really not going to feel any differance , just trying to save you a few quid ;)