Echo Titanium Headset

Akira_Shock!

Hi all,

considering that for most Ti parts, anything from bolts to spindles/axles, it's always strongly enforced that you apply enough Copper grease (specifically!) to the Ti bits to stop them from seizing up against your alu/steel bits. Does the same hold true for the Echo/CK titanium headsets if I wanted to run one in my alu headtube? Alu headsets are always pressed in dry; 'cos I heard many times that riders across many MTB disciplines ended getting headset/headtube damage easier because sometimes they installed their Alu cups with a bit of grease inside the headset; causing the cups to be more prone to slipping inside the headtube.

Anyone know?

Thanks

You don't need anything on it. My XC bike is ally with a ti headset, the headset has been in there for about a year now and it still hasn't siezed together after a year of riding. If you put it in dry you should be fine.

That's kinda against the point isn't it? You wouldn't know if it's seized or not because it's just been living in the headtube for that whole time. You'd only really know if it needed to be removed. The fact is that alu frames are disposable items, so when my frame dies I'd like to carry the headset over to a new frame some day.

That's kinda against the point isn't it? You wouldn't know if it's seized or not because it's just been living in the headtube for that whole time. You'd only really know if it needed to be removed. The fact is that alu frames are disposable items, so when my frame dies I'd like to carry the headset over to a new frame some day.

I took my bike apart last week to spray it focus RS green. So I had to take the headset out aswell :)

You wouldn't know if it's seized or not because it's just been living in the headtube for that whole time.

Yea you would, they feel nasty when they have seized. Personally i'd always replace the bb and headset when gettin a new frame.

Its not that difficult getting one out if you do want to keep it though

I dont know for sure but i would think you never lubricate a headset it? I expect it would cause it to wear quicker..

ame='mods' date='20 February 2010 - 04:54 PM' timestamp='1266684868' post='2086240']

How would you? he's not talking about the bearings being seized....but the cups being seized into the frame. OF course you'd lube a bearing....decent quality lithium woul dbe best I reckons :)

Correctamundo. Lithium grease on bearings and dry cups.

ame='mods' date='20 February 2010 - 04:54 PM' timestamp='1266684868' post='2086240']

How would you? he's not talking about the bearings being seized....but the cups being seized into the frame. OF course you'd lube a bearing....decent quality lithium woul dbe best I reckons :)

Ah i thought he meant the bearings. They are meant to be stuck in the frame.. id rather that than not anyway. You can't 'lube' sealed bearings.