Helliciol Help !

moreton rider

right i got up this morning and after 2 months my monty project frame was finnished ready to build. got most way throught the build and tryed tightening my maggie bolts. the were bottoming out on the frame so i used a bigger spacer . that worked fine on one side but then i realised that the top left mount needed a heliciol . so i drill tapped and inserted the ciol. i came to putting it back together all was fine exept the mount i helicioled but this was stiffer.i took it all apart and threaded a spare bolt into it. it got harder and harder to turn then it snapped. so now ive got half a alloy bolt stuck in a somehow incorrect heliciol.anyone got any ideas on how to get the bolt out. ( theres about 3 mm sticking out) and when i get it out how to correct drill or replace the heliciol. pleese im urgent to ride sometime this week . i havent been riding for 2 months now!!! :

right i got up this morning and after 2 months my monty project frame was finnished ready to build. got most way throught the build and tryed tightening my maggie bolts. the were bottoming out on the frame so i used a bigger spacer . that worked fine on one side but then i realised that the top left mount needed a heliciol . so i drill tapped and inserted the ciol. i came to putting it back together all was fine exept the mount i helicioled but this was stiffer.i took it all apart and threaded a spare bolt into it. it got harder and harder to turn then it snapped. so now ive got half a alloy bolt stuck in a somehow incorrect heliciol.anyone got any ideas on how to get the bolt out. ( theres about 3 mm sticking out) and when i get it out how to correct drill or replace the heliciol. pleese im urgent to ride sometime this week . i havent been riding for 2 months now!!! :

Is the bolt stuck inside the helicol and this is stuck inside the frame you taped. If so just get some mole grips on the bolt and undo it taking the coil out along with the bolt . Then re tap with m6 to take an m6 outer thread Coil , Which should have an internal thread of m5 .. Should work if im on your wave lenght >>

Edited by scotty007

Is the bolt stuck inside the helicol and this is stuck inside the frame you taped. If so just get some mole grips on the bolt and undo it taking the coil out along with the bolt . Then re tap with m6 to take an m6 outer thread Coil , Which should have an internal thread of m5 .. Should work if im on your wave lenght >>

yes almost but i think if i undo the bolts stuck in the heliciol it will undo the bolt but not the heliciol. then what try and drill and re tap it ?

use some real thin disassembly lube to penetrate round the bolt and hopefully make it easier to remove

I had two bolts stuck into my magura mounts when I rebuilt my monty, I got them out with mole grips, penetrant and an hour or so of swearing. No damage done to the mount threads either

if you haven't snapped the tang off the bottom of the helicoil yet, you might be able to use that to help remove the helicoil later

I've no real experience with them though, Never ever had to use em ^_^

use some real thin disassembly lube to penetrate round the bolt and hopefully make it easier to remove

I had two bolts stuck into my magura mounts when I rebuilt my monty, I got them out with mole grips, penetrant and an hour or so of swearing. No damage done to the mount threads either

if you haven't snapped the tang off the bottom of the helicoil yet, you might be able to use that to help remove the helicoil later

I've no real experience with them though, Never ever had to use em ^_^

tags gone !. any reason whay you couldnt drill and retapp it

You may have a little trouble drilling the heli coil, their rather hard!!!

yup!

They'll be hard to drill out, it would probably be way easier to try to spin the one you have out and put a new one in

where did the bolt snap, flush to the frame or further up? if you can't get molegrips round it because it's in the frame, try getting a little grinder (like a dremel or similar) and grind a little slot into it, then use a flat screwdriver to spin it

You may have a little trouble drilling the heli coil, their rather hard!!!

I agree its mild steal and would be hard to drill out without ruining your mounts. you could try a penatrating oil around the threads and whip it out that way .

Cant you show us any pics !!

Edited by scotty007

yup!

They'll be hard to drill out, it would probably be way easier to try to spin the one you have out and put a new one in

where did the bolt snap, flush to the frame or further up? if you can't get molegrips round it because it's in the frame, try getting a little grinder (like a dremel or similar) and grind a little slot into it, then use a flat screwdriver to spin it

I would strongly advise against doing that! Your might not get enough torque with a screwdriver.

If you want to have any chance of saving your frame, get a set of easy outs.

Ebay Stud Extractor

Make sure when you buy a set, get one like the above. Theres others that you can buy which are more like THIS but I've never had any sucess with them.

I agree its mild steal and would be hard to drill out without ruining your mounts. you could try a penatrating oil around the threads and whip it out that way .

Cant you show us any pics !!

If it was mild steel there would be no problem :P

I would strongly advise against doing that! Your might not get enough torque with a screwdriver.

If you want to have any chance of saving your frame, get a set of easy outs.

Ebay Stud Extractor

Make sure when you buy a set, get one like the above. Theres others that you can buy which are more like THIS but I've never had any sucess with them.

with a socket set you could enough torque on it, I'm sure it would work well enough, especially if he doesn't fancy blowing 80quid on something that's probably only get what, 2 uses in it's lifetime?

with a socket set you could enough torque on it, I'm sure it would work well enough, especially if he doesn't fancy blowing 80quid on something that's probably only get what, 2 uses in it's lifetime?

That was an example, you can get them for cheaper.

If I was seen extracting a bolt with a screwdriver in work, I would be shot.

i can probably get the bolt out with the mole girps but i still dont see how i can get the broken coil out of my mount?

as if i got the bolt out i wouldndt just shove my ti bolts in and tourqe them till they snapped would i?.

i need a way of replacing th heliciol . beacuse it didnt work for some reason?

to make it clear i snapped the tagg of the bottom of the ciol therfor i cant unsrew it.and if i put anotherbolt in it wou;d snapp again anyone got any ideas how to get the ciol out so i can redo it?

i can probably get the bolt out with the mole girps but i still dont see how i can get the broken coil out of my mount?

as if i got the bolt out i wouldndt just shove my ti bolts in and tourqe them till they snapped would i?.

i need a way of replacing th heliciol . beacuse it didnt work for some reason?

to make it clear i snapped the tagg of the bottom of the ciol therfor i cant unsrew it.and if i put anotherbolt in it wou;d snapp again anyone got any ideas how to get the ciol out so i can redo it?

get the bolt out and then assess the coil I reckon, it might be that you got a crappy bolt and the coil is totally fine

before you get the bolt out, it isn't too long and bottoming out on the frame is it?

get the bolt out and then assess the coil I reckon, it might be that you got a crappy bolt and the coil is totally fine

nope it was a brankd new alloy bolt. but i got it out. well i kinda drilled it heliciols arnt hard to drill, as he said there mild steel anyhows i drilled retapped and put i better cioil in it now it works fine and rides sooo nice .but i need a new chain and cams.