Wheel Diet - Drilling Your Own Rims - Good Or Bad Idea?

rtfletcher

Id say why not i managed to drill my halo combat wheels without any problems at all. No weakness or flex what so ever so its all good. Used a 20mm hole saw wouldnt advise going any bigger than this.

Did you take the rim off the spokes or just take the tyre off and go through from the outside towards the hub??

Did you take the rim off the spokes or just take the tyre off and go through from the outside towards the hub??

I took the tyre off the rim,and drilled from outside to inside. I marked the center of the rim so if its a 40mm rim that would be 20mm to the center line, then measuerd from spoke nipple to spoke nipple and got the center. Dot punched it all the way around, then used a 5mm pilot drill bit to get it started, then used a 20mm holesaw which i got from screw fix direct. Make sure you get all the waste out of the rim or you will have tons and tons of flats. Got some pics some where if they will come in handey.

I took the tyre off the rim,and drilled from outside to inside. I marked the center of the rim so if its a 40mm rim that would be 20mm to the center line, then measuerd from spoke nipple to spoke nipple and got the center. Dot punched it all the way around, then used a 5mm pilot drill bit to get it started, then used a 20mm holesaw which i got from screw fix direct. Make sure you get all the waste out of the rim or you will have tons and tons of flats. Got some pics some where if they will come in handey.

Nah dont worry ill be ok, i'm an engineer by day!!! just wanted to get an idea of other peoples experiences before i went wading in and wrecking my rims!!!!

thats pretty much exactly what i'd planned on doing how you described, just wanted a few other peoples take on it first!! i've seen some drilled sidewalls too, i'm running idsks so i'm contenplating this too - anyone have any experience in this???

Nah dont worry ill be ok, i'm an engineer by day!!! just wanted to get an idea of other peoples experiences before i went wading in and wrecking my rims!!!!

thats pretty much exactly what i'd planned on doing how you described, just wanted a few other peoples take on it first!! i've seen some drilled sidewalls too, i'm running idsks so i'm contenplating this too - anyone have any experience in this???

What on same rim your gonna hole out ? I wouldnt! it would proberly be to weak if you did. Seen a few rims drilled on the side wall. Personally i think they look gash but personal prefrence and all .

What on same rim your gonna hole out ? I wouldnt! it would proberly be to weak if you did. Seen a few rims drilled on the side wall. Personally i think they look gash but personal prefrence and all .

i'll see what happens!!!

think tubeless tyres are out the window mind!!!!

i'll see what happens!!!

think tubeless tyres are out the window mind!!!!

http://www.alcyon.co.in/case.studies/Wheel_Rim_results.png

check out this pic, there are hardly any stresses on the sidewall of the rim, so it wouldn't compromise the rim integrity at all really!!!

might just go all out!!!

i think it would look smart if the sidewall holes were countersunk too, 4mm holes maybe.