Caged Or Platform Pedals?

I'm completely new to trials riding and was wondering what's the difference between caged and platform pedals? Pros and cons of both would be great and would give me some insight on what will work for a noob.

FYI, I've never ridden flats in the years I have been mountain biking. Only clipless pedals.

Try-All Cage and below Trial Tech Race Platform.

Cage:

Cons: You can bend the cages fairly easy.

Pro's: still fairly grippy (assuming the cages arn't bent), and there cheep

Platform:

Cons: Cant think of any off the top of my head.. apart from maybe a bit more expensive.

Pro's: They last longer than cage and i find they are a fair bit grippyer than caged pedals.

post-22746-127538841771_thumb.jpg

post-22746-127538848894_thumb.jpg

Edited by Laurence--Trials

Thanks for the input.

From what I've read, caged is cheaper than platforms and grip is very much a personal preference. And I bet shoes make a big difference in how much grip either pedals has.

I guess the only way to know is to try them both.

I never see caged pedals in the mountain bike arena of freeride and downhill. So I was wondering if caged pedals were just trials specific. And looking at bike pictures here, it looks like platforms are quite popular.

Ive got 'Platform' on mine. They seem ok. They have really big 'Screws' in. So grip well.

But i can't really comment since. I'm a noob rider. And ive only ridden my own bike.

And i Prefer them for looks too :D

I found cages are far grippier, the platforms I used to have were naff and I was constantly slipping so now I have like double walled cages which have amazing grip, but if you do slip... You feel it.

Personally I've found cages better, but as been said if you slip make sure you have a claw hammer to take the teeth out of your shins :S

I think if your new you should go for platforms.

I started out on the standard crappy onza caged pedals and i smashed them to peices and had half of it embedded in the back of my leg within a couple of weeks, they weren't grippy either. Most of the cages look very grippy now though, but still look easy to smash.

Im riding on some welgo magnesium's now with a pair of DC's. not had a shin dig so far (Y)

Also ridden on some DMR V8's, they were good and some Bontrager big earls, now the are monsters :D

Wellgo plat forms mate. If you're just starting out you're gonna scrape your pedals on stuff and they will take a beating, cages, allthough lighter will bend straight away. The pins in wellgo's will wear fast too, but u can get a massive bag of grub screws from most d.i.y shops for pennys. The body will last ages! Just keep replacing the grub screws.

Caged pedals aren't generally used in Dh and freeride because they don't support the foot as well as a platform. Personally i much perfer the feel underfoot of a platform and the grip is more than enough; i use Wellgo MG-1 pedals on all of my bikes, light strong and good levels of grip.

Just to second whats already been said really - I've always strayed away from cages as I much prefer the feel of platform pedals, plus as soon as the cage is bent, they're next to useless, whereas platforms are easily serviceable and you can replace the pins/bearings/axles easliy to get them back to as-new condition.

Plus, i'd highly recommend one of the five-ten shoes. The grip from the 'stealth' rubber sole is immense, and they do a range of designs to suit (skate shoe style, fr/dh boot etc)