Need Help ( Broken Parts )

matthew_coggan

Right I bought some Trialtech Chain Tugs from tarty yesterday, and they came today. I fitted them earlia on my bike and within an hours riding they both snapped where the bolt goes in. ( have a look at the pics for details ) As a result of of them snapping it also snapped my axle aswell, SO AM NOT A HAPPY CHAPPY

I would just like to ask for advise on what I can do, as I have never had a problem with other parts i have bought in the past.

If you can't see whats happened in the smaller pics click on them and then you should see better.

post-25150-127551551889_thumb.jpg

post-25150-127551553339_thumb.jpg

post-25150-127551569455_thumb.jpg

post-25150-127551574436_thumb.jpg

Edited by matthew_coggan

Explain!

No didnt do them to tight chain had a good amount of wobble.

Im guessing that the axle snapped and took the tensioners with it, snapping tensioners like that wont take the axle out. Assuming you were on the back wheel when the axle cracked on one side (as shown in the photo) then that tensioner is suddenly under a huge amount of tension and its pulled the threads out, the remaining axle bolted to the opposite dropout will flex and crack the other tightly bolted tensioner - unfortunately I dont think theres much you can do about it, tarty may do you a reduced price on some replacements, ask them :)

edit: Im betting the 3rd picture shows the right hand hand tensioner and the threads have pulled from the aluminum boss, the 4th picture shows the left hand tensioner and its cracked the aluminium from flexing the stud over too far.

Edited by forteh
  • Like 1

Im guessing that the axle snapped and took the tensioners with it, snapping tensioners like that wont take the axle out. Assuming you were on the back wheel when the axle cracked on one side (as shown in the photo) then that tensioner is suddenly under a huge amount of tension and its pulled the threads out, the remaining axle bolted to the opposite dropout will flex and crack the other tightly bolted tensioner - unfortunately I dont think theres much you can do about it, tarty may do you a reduced price on some replacements, ask them :)

edit: Im betting the 3rd picture shows the right hand hand tensioner and the threads have pulled from the aluminum boss, the 4th picture shows the left hand tensioner and its cracked the aluminium from flexing the stud over too far.

Thanks mate makes sence. (Y)

Is the hub fixable or will i just need to buy a new one?