Rubbish V-Brakes

trials owns

hi there,

on my mountain bike both my brakes are rubbish, one is really stiff and doesn't go in far and has no braking power (the front disk) and other the leaver pulls in really far to the handlebars and the bake pads are really close (normal rim brakes).

what would you recomend in doing to make them strong? maybe a re-cable or something.

cheers.

Edited by trials owns

You can try new cables.

You also want to try setting them up properly.

That includes fiddling with the screws that change the tension on the springs (on the v brake) to get the arms to move evenly.

cheers, is it the further in the screw the more tension. sorry im a noob at v-brakes

You can try new cables.

You also want to try setting them up properly.

That includes fiddling with the screws that change the tension on the springs (on the v brake) to get the arms to move evenly.

i have tryed that but doesnt work both brake pads move at the same time and hit the rim but still no performance. mmmm mystery

my disk brake doesnt have screws. will take it down the bike shop if anyone hasn't got any ideas.

1. Take out the old cable

2. Lube up the inner and outer (spray down the outer, grease on the inner)

3. Let off all spring tension

4. Set up your pads so that when they make contact with the rim they are completely square

5. Fit new cables so that the pads are within 2mm of the rim either side

6. Apply spring tension until the pads meet the rim simultaneously, with slight adjusting (more/less tension) to give the desired lever feel

It's a 2 minute job, if that (Y)

Skoze - do you mean the Halfords brand ones or the brakes that come on the low end completes? I've ridden trials round the warehouse on both :P