Cant Get Bottem Bracket Out

jamesrs250

i cant get my bottem bracket out both sides have the teeth worn down i have tried mole grips and puting the bike in a vice but still will not come out,,,,, any ides

take it to your local bike shop mate or halfords they will get it you out for a couple of quid saves you the hassle B)

Just to point out the obvious but its a common mistake - you know that the left side is normal thread and the right (drive) side is reverse thread yeah?

If still having problems get it to your nearest decent independant bike shop. Use your local Halfords if you like but just make sure their bike staff actually know what they are doing...

Not slagging Halfords, iv worked there for 4 years now, but i just know how massivley different each store can be in terms of the quality of their 'mechanics'

Have you tried bolting the bb tool into the frame with the crank bolt? Often if you do it up tight, it'll find purchase on the mashed teeth. It often surprises me how well it'll grip on knackered BBs.

Just to point out the obvious but its a common mistake - you know that the left side is normal thread and the right (drive) side is reverse thread yeah?

If still having problems get it to your nearest decent independant bike shop. Use your local Halfords if you like but just make sure their bike staff actually know what they are doing...

Not slagging Halfords, iv worked there for 4 years now, but i just know how massivley different each store can be in terms of the quality of their 'mechanics'

This is true, I went to one in stockport for a freewheel tool and the lad in there said they weren't allowed one in the workshop never mind one to sell!

yeah i know the left side is normal thread and the right (drive) side is reverse thread

Have you tried bolting the bb tool into the frame with the crank bolt? Often if you do it up tight, it'll find purchase on the mashed teeth. It often surprises me how well it'll grip on knackered BBs.

ill give that a go. if that dont work its going to got to the bike shop

unfortunatly most bike shops would recomend you a new frame when you bring in a bike where the bb tool has no teeth left to remove the bb.

if you post a pic up of the condition of the teeth i could give you my opinion on the repair.

to put it plain, if there is no way a bb tool can grip the bb. you will need to smash out the bb axle then saw the cups at 2,6 and 10 o clock looking from the side. then chisel the cups out then re tap the bb threads.

doing this will take an hour or two. bike workshops will charge about 30-60 pounds for this.

to do the job your self you will need to knock the axle out from either side using a lump hammer.

the using a hacksaw cut the bb cups in the 3 places being extremly carefull to cause as little damage to the threads as possible.

be sure not to cut into the bb shell (the frame) stop cutting as you get to the threaded areas. then using the chisel hit the three bb cups pieces from the small gap between the frame and cups. you are trying to knock the 3 pieces to the centre.

once this is done you can then take it to a bike shop to have have the threads re taped most shops charge 5-15 pounds for this

hope this helps :)

unfortunatly most bike shops would recomend you a new frame when you bring in a bike where the bb tool has no teeth left to remove the bb.

if you post a pic up of the condition of the teeth i could give you my opinion on the repair.

to put it plain, if there is no way a bb tool can grip the bb. you will need to smash out the bb axle then saw the cups at 2,6 and 10 o clock looking from the side. then chisel the cups out then re tap the bb threads.

doing this will take an hour or two. bike workshops will charge about 30-60 pounds for this.

to do the job your self you will need to knock the axle out from either side using a lump hammer.

the using a hacksaw cut the bb cups in the 3 places being extremly carefull to cause as little damage to the threads as possible.

be sure not to cut into the bb shell (the frame) stop cutting as you get to the threaded areas. then using the chisel hit the three bb cups pieces from the small gap between the frame and cups. you are trying to knock the 3 pieces to the centre.

once this is done you can then take it to a bike shop to have have the threads re taped most shops charge 5-15 pounds for this

hope this helps :)

i was thinking that a bike shop would say to get a new frame. becuse the paint work is not that good so make the frame look like its now worth doing,, i just dont want to waste a good frame, re taped the threads is not a problem i can do that

Edited by jamesrs250