Freewheels

AndyZoo

Hey there, just wondering what freewheel would be the best quality and brand to buy. At the moment im

having problems with my Tensile 96 as the problems all my fault to be honest.

I took the lockring off, took most of the grease and oil out (not the bearings) and

fiddled about a bit to make it louder. Now the problem is the lockring keeps coming loose, and when I

tighten it up really good it comes loose and skips a lot more than usual. When I spin my cranks around

they stop really fast when I spin them backwards so the lockring is very well on.

It skips sometimes does the freewheel and starts to come loose every 3 hours or less. So the idea is to

get a brand new freewheel and hopefuly not mess about with it at all. Does anyone

have any ideas on what decent freewheels are on the market today.

Thanks for your time. (Y)

Edited by AndyZoo
  • Like 2

Could always put some loctight on the thread, if that fails there's always the new trialtech freewheel.

Submitted validation vote.

Thanks for the vote pal, loctight might not do the freewheel any good, as I said the cranks will be tight all the time (Not a good thing), possibly will come loose really fast.

The Trialtech freewheel looks pretty sweet to be honest, same price as my 96 Tensile click was, had no problems with my Tensile but would love a change.

Could ring Tartybikes up Tomorrow afternoon and see what they say. Some advice may save me £50 if you get what I mean.

Thanks for the vote pal, loctight might not do the freewheel any good, as I said the cranks will be tight all the time (Not a good thing), possibly will come loose really fast.

The Trialtech freewheel looks pretty sweet to be honest, same price as my 96 Tensile click was, had no problems with my Tensile but would love a change.

Could ring Tartybikes up Tomorrow afternoon and see what they say. Some advice may save me £50 if you get what I mean.

I'm sure it will be brought up later but if your gonna go for the trial tech freewheel, just dig out an extra £10 and get the echo sl, best freewheel available. Bombproof.

I'm sure it will be brought up later but if your gonna go for the trial tech freewheel, just dig out an extra £10 and get the echo sl, best freewheel available. Bombproof.

been told echo sl are very high quality freewheels as im looking at min,spoke to tarty earlier and they dont have any at minute,think they are getting in the next 2weeks.correct me if im wrong though please.

Tartys tech tip

These freewheels may appear to 'rattle' from new - this is down to the bearing system. It would be possible to add an extra

bearing in and stop the rattle, however this would then cause the freewheel to lock up!

Can be removed with this tool, you do not need the specific Echo tool however it does fit a little better.

To be honest, I don't want to be messing around with the lockring anymore, the Trialtech 108 click looks pretty good, but I bet

theres other good freewheels on the market.

Paying another £10 to take it appart again is not going to happen.

i like my echo tr 72 freewheel its light and cheap and pretty strong

I mean yes, Ive heard really good things about the Tr freewheel, one of my mates runs one

at the moment and still working good.

Thanks.

Hello there mate, i have an Echo SL freewheel and i really cannot say a bad thing about it.

Sweet engagement, not too expensive, and really loud too.

Cheers dude for the advice and opinion on the Echo SL.

My freewheel for some random reason hasn't come loose for like 2 days now, Im still going to be getting a new one though.

Thanks for the advice guys keep posting your opinions on your freewheel and advice for me to take in.

Cheers

been told echo sl are very high quality freewheels as im looking at min,spoke to tarty earlier and they dont have any at minute,think they are getting in the next 2weeks.correct me if im wrong though please.

Well if you talked to tarty then it is correct... And yeah the Echo SL freewheel is probably the best freewheel made. Or if you want to go a bit cheaper you could get the echo TR, its still as good in strength and no skipping, but quieter than the SL I think.

To be honest, I don't want to be messing around with the lockring anymore, the Trialtech 108 click looks pretty good, but I bet

theres other good freewheels on the market.

Paying another £10 to take it appart again is not going to happen.

It doesn't say anywhere in that 'Tip' that you need to take apart an SL if you get one new, it just explains that when you shake them they rattle a little, and that that's perfectly normal. Ali's SL is now 18 months old and hasn't ever been taken apart, to put it into perspective...

It doesn't say anywhere in that 'Tip' that you need to take apart an SL if you get one new, it just explains that when you shake them they rattle a little, and that that's perfectly normal. Ali's SL is now 18 months old and hasn't ever been taken apart, to put it into perspective...

Cheers for the advice Mark, I will look along the lines of getting a SL then, Heard many good things about these freewheels.

The TR is good too but I would rather spend that little bit more than get a cheaper one that isn't as good as the best one according to people

on the topic.

Thanks.

I've recently got the Trialtech 108 click and I love it ! It has good engagement , it is a fair price , it is pretty loud too. :P Also the bearings are pretty smooth, and when I ride it I notice this as my freewheel spins for longer than my old freewheel,which is quite a good advantage for me as I have to ride quite far from my house to get to the good places to ride in my area. Hope this helps,

Ellis. (Y)