2011 Magura Hs33!

Geek

Hey guys,

Today I received my brand new 2011 Magura HS33, so I thought i'd get some closeup pictures up of it.

I haven't used it on the bike yet as it's not built.

I know they are a bit dark, but I have no photoshop on my MacBook and refuse to use gimp.

Please click to view big (and I mean big - 5184 x 3456)

Firstly you have the uber sexy new leaver design, I think the removable cap is great, as previously, if you went over the bars etc. you would scratch the magura and that would be it, I was slightly disappointed that the cover is made from plastic, I was expecting metal.

5031039037_ecae4332c8_z.jpg

5031661696_199a70d417.jpg

5031664312_6ab6775c62.jpg

5031049877_c804c7d60b.jpg

5031653758_c98052289c.jpg

As for the caliper, it's pretty much the same as the previous magura, same hose connections, same basic shape, pad fitment etc... (Even phatpads fit nicely!).

5031639740_9182631d6f.jpg

5031651162_9c978e0442.jpg

5031054801_1c9e019a48.jpg

5031669478_8b03ce2dba.jpg

The hoses also seem slightly thicker and different from the previous ones.

5031041675_effbb5f195.jpg

And the best bit of all?

5031648440_b4929e43b7.jpg

No need to take your grips off to swap brakes. Horray! :giggle:

I'll update this post after an actual use too.

I'm not moaning, lol. It just looks rank IMO. I'm not disputing the functionality of it I'm just stating my opinion on the way it looks which, as I'd like to reiterate, is gross.

I actually quite like the new look.

and at the end of the day, for trials, I personally take function over form.

Think they look awsome. If i had the cash i would have one straight away.

Yeah, dude, pretty sexy looking :D

As promised, I am going to post my little 'performance review'

What I was using:

Magura HS33 2011 (obviously)

Rebleed with oil due to me having to put it through my frame and rebleed (was a tad more difficult according to the shop).

Phatpads

extremely light grind (might aswell be smooth.)

I rode for about an hour, and not hard at-all, but from what I did (very basic due to not riding trials for about a year!) it seems pretty similar to the previous HS33, I can't really say much more apart from the leaver is nice to use and they look really nice, it's just a normal magura really. but a bit better I suppose.

I am haivng slight issues with my TPA, I can't quite work out how it is actually supposed to function, i think you have to pull it out and twist it for +/-.

It's also a bit stuff but I have put some lube on it and will see how it goes and keep you updated.

I'd say If you currently have HS33's, theres not much point in upgrading but if you have no HS33 you may aswell spend a bit more to get this brake.

I hope this helps (even though it is quite possibly the worst review in history)

I will go into more depth soon when I have a bit more confidence with my riding.

Charlie

EDIT: no idea what happened to the order of my post :S

Edited by Geek

Yeah, functionally they're identical - the only difference between the two is that the HS33 is sprayed silver and has more contoured covers. The HS11s come as standard with the longer blade, so that extra power is obviously a bonus for some. Some people do prefer the two-finger shape though so it's available should they want it, but only on the HS33.

Yeah, functionally they're identical - the only difference between the two is that the HS33 is sprayed silver and has more contoured covers. The HS11s come as standard with the longer blade, so that extra power is obviously a bonus for some. Some people do prefer the two-finger shape though so it's available should they want it, but only on the HS33.

That's interesting, I don't see why they did that... it just makes them loose out on money. :S

• 1 month later...

Some people want the 'best' brake, which the HS33 sort of is... It's available in 4-finger too, just that we don't stock it in that option.

hi,got my new hs33 today.pads dead flat to rim and square(using tnn clamps)absolutely no air in system as bled 6 times each brake to make sure.

lever feels very nice nice positive feel,pads move the moment i pull lever BUT it just doesnt feel solid when i pull brakes on?

my old brakes once the pads hit the rim you could barely pull brake and further other than usual fork/frame flex which is minimal

Could you please share your experiance with me as its very disappointing to the point of putting old ones back on

thank you