Parts/pads And Preparation

Gibbon on an Orange 2

Hey guys.

It's been a while since I've given the trials bike any pain due to weekend work commitments and other stuff. However, race season has now ended so the trials bike can start being abused again.

Basically, It's a missmatch of old (10 years) parts, newish parts, very new parts etc.

eg: Frame is an '06 Zoo with the old Orange Trials forks, 2000 era HS33, Hope Mini, '09 Trialtech rims etc etc (a real age-mungrel)

The biggest issue i've got it the brakes. The HS33 on Magura Redstuff pads was all the rage (and all we had) back when I started and other than a set of plazmatics (which I wasnt overly impressed with) i've never run anything else. I see things have changed a lot over the past year or so with pad compounds etc so im guessing redstuff are considered pretty poor in comparrison these days.

They could probably do with a good bleed as it hasn't been done in a good few years :$ but i'm assuming i could improve things greatly if i was to stick in some modern pads? Rear rim is a Trialtech drilled on a medium/rough grind.

Up front I've got a Hope Mino Mini from around '04 with Hope's organic pads. Try as I might, I just can't get a good bite from it! Pads are brand new and bedded in and the rotor was fully cleaned before refitting. Does anybody do aftermarker trials specific disc pads or do you just run the OEM pads?

Also, if anyone is from around the north-staffs/cheshire/derbyshire border area (matlock isn't far) and know of anywhere to ride (natural preferably) please drop me a PM, as all of my old trials buddies seem to have gone off to do other things so finding places where other locals now go would be great (Y)

Edited by Gibbon on an Orange 2

Hey dude, welcome back! You were more active on the old MBUK forums from what I can recall, yes? Either way it's great to hear you're getting back into things!

Your rear brake should be pretty much fine to continue using, provided the pistons still move freely and you haven't stripped the TPA (which can be fixed anyway though, as you're probably aware)

Whilst Magura have just released the second update to the HS33/11 brakes since yours were released, most of the fittings have remained the same up until the recent change so if it comes to it you can always throw on a newer ('04/05 model) lever and you're away again.

Pads-wise, there's a huge host of compounds available. There is a massive Pad Reviews thread here though it's probably worth mentioning that it was started years back so you'll be better off working from the last page back to get reviews of more recent/currently available pads. Otherwise just have a flick through the pad section of Tartybikes here as there's a wealth of information on each product page too (Y)

As for the Hope, the Mono Mini has never been particularly incredible in terms of bite due to the piston ratio. If you're sure everything is clean and bedded in as best it can be, then chances are you're already getting maximum performance from it. If you find this isn't enough, consider upgrading to a Hope Mono Trial caliper/brake (it'll run on your current lever, though they're generally only sold as a full brake for around £60 on here, £150 new)

Due to a larger slave the Mono Trial gives considerably more bite, so you won't go far wrong.

If that's out of your budget the Avid BB7 is always worth a look still, and you can pick them up on here as a complete brake for around £35/45 :)

It is possible to get aftermarket pads for the Mono Mini, such as EBC's Red pads but to be honest the increase in performance is minimal.

Unfortunately I can't help you on the local riders, but keep an eye in the Rides/Locations forum and something will undoubtedly pop up nearby soon enough!

Sorry for the essay, hopefully I haven't covered too much irrelevant ground but that should bring you up to speed a tad! :P

Cheers, Luke. Yep it's me you will remember from the MBUK trials forum (I'm still a Moderator on there in fact) though it's gone pretty dead since the forums were all jumbled up with the other Future Publishing magazine forums.

Cheers for the info. I had a look at the pad review thread the other day but began to get baffled by the number of reviews given that everyone was running a different level of grind/frame/booster/no booster etc so I found it quite hard to fathom out which pads would work best for me. I think a call to Tarty might be in order.

I had a bad feeling somenoe would say that about the Mono Mini, and lets be honest, I'm not supprised. £60 for a new calliper isn't a massive ask I suppose but I think I will have to give it some time and see just how frustrated I get with the Mini, and wether I'm able to ride well/often enough to make it worth while forking out. Looking at the new HS33 levers they look like they should be a bit more effective at locking you up than the old brakes so they're an option too if needs be (or the CNC equivelant).

Let's keep it simple then:

HS33 pads: You'll get a ton of opinions if you ask on here, but go for some TNN/rock pads and you'll do just fine. Unfortunately most pads will now be louder than your Maguras...

Front brake: Run the Mono Mini a while. If it seems to be lacking sell it or £30 or so an pick ip a complete Mono Trial on here for £60. Job done.

If you're still not sure, the Tarty boys will point you in the right direction (Y)

Hiya mate, I'm not too far from you (other side of Buxton) and as far a natural goes I believe the best places are probably Matlock quarry and I think there's some good riding near hathersage. If you have a search of the rides forum you'll find the directions if I remember rightly. Hope that helps you a bit!

Cheers guys.

Yeah I've been searching videos of Matlock and it looks pretty good. I used to hang about up at the roaches just on the Leek side of Buxton but it's only really ridable when it's been bone dty for several days as it's really Peatie. I remember there being a quarry outside Buxton it'self too but it was years ago so can't remember if it was any good or not.

"Unfortunately most pads will now be louder than your Maguras..."

Let's be honest, this is the only real reason we ever used tar on our rims back then **SQUEAK** :D

Edited by Gibbon on an Orange 2