Bmx Questions

t-comp-kierz

Yes, you want full cro-mo if possible, it's stronger and less likely to break.

Sign up on www.bmx-forum.co.uk, take a look in the classifieds, you don't need to be validated to buy.

Or there's sites such as http://www.sourcebmx.com/, and http://www.winstanleysbmx.com/, although I've seen a lot of people that tend to avoid Winstanley's due to poor service and goods taking months to reach them, as well as receiving the wrong goods. Oh, and people have seen stock in on the website, only to ring up and find that there's actually none in and he hasn't changed the website. It is super cheap though, so if you're up for a bit of hassle you might end up saving some money.

BMX Forum has some pretty sweet custom builds, on the cheap too, definitely work a look, even if it is a bit NMC-ish.

Brands to look out for; WeThePeople are decent, as are Subrosa, and I like the look of some of the Sundays.

Haro, Mongoose and GT are pretty much the "budget bikes", and suffer abuse at skate parks etc. although, some of them aren't too bad.

BMX Forum will offer a lot more help in the way of what brands to avoid/look for, and you could always write up a topic asking for help on there.

Im kinda torn on the whole whole cromo lark, if you can get a decent spec bike with a cromo/hi ten frame then id prefer that. Really depends on your style though, if your heavy, throw about rider then I guess its obvious.

Ring Winstanleys for stock and they are fine. Alans are worth checking. Get out and have a ride on bikes too.

Building a second hand is an option too, maybe worth looking into.

I've seen people bend and twist hi-ten frames pretty easily. I'd rather have a solid frame to build up from rather than an alright spec with a hi-ten frame. The frame (fork and bars too) is the most important part of your bike, so it sorta makes sense to get a decent one.

Cromo is also lighter :-

If you insist on having a 2011 bike with micro gearing, massive bars and all the other up to date stuff you will get FA for £300 now. The prices are going up allot.

Head over Winstanley's (yikes) and get yourself a 2006/7/8 bike for pennies. Then use the remainder funds on rubber and pedals.

Cromo is also lighter :-

If you insist on having a 2011 bike with micro gearing, massive bars and all the other up to date stuff you will get FA for £300 now. The prices are going up allot.

Head over Winstanley's (yikes) and get yourself a 2006/7/8 bike for pennies. Then use the remainder funds on rubber and pedals.

If this had been said as advice by anyone else, or anywhere else, i would be currently ripping them apart. But since it isn't i'll refrain.

I bought a Mirra co for £250 that was £600 new from them a few years back, when chainrings didn't get smaller that 36t.

I would deffinatley look second hand, its suprising how good some of the bikes you can get are, they tend to be abused less than trials bikes (Visually that is.)

I bought a 2005 Fly diablo with basically a full oddessey frame kit for £50 because the rear hub ha broken its spring...

Also bear in mind, if your tall that doesn't mean you need a mahusively long frame, I've had 20.5" all the way up to some ridiculous lengths, i think my federal 1066 was 21.75" I may be wrong.

Cromo as everyone else said is always the better option.