Hope Pro2 Problem

chris4stars

evening all...

right, i have a problem with the freewheel (think its called that) on a pro2 hub. ive heard lots of people talk about 'skipping' in topics ive looked at but im not entirely sure what that is...id assume it meant skipping an engagement whilst applying pressure on the pedal?!

anyway, its not that...whats happening is when i pedal the cranks backwards turning the sprocket, it seems to catch/snag/get stuck on somthing on the inside...sometimes missing an engagement or two untill you overcome it with a little force

i took the wheel off and tried turning it by hand...it seems to sometimes move round freely (hold the sprocket and spin the wheel) depending on the angle i hold the wheel at. sometimes you feel the slight catch each revolution, sometimes its quite signifigant

ive no idea how this could come about...no problems or issues ever before with it....im wondering whether i need to take the full freewheel/pawls section off the hub, open it up and clean it? if it does just need cleaned, are there any other products that may be suitable? i know gunk gets rid of allmost all crap on anything...but getting it all lubed up again may be an issue....does it sound more like a mechanical fault?

any help would be much appreciated

ta

Edited by chris4stars

They are a piece of piss to service. What I would do is take it apart (there are videos of how to do this on the hope website) have a look and see if there is anything obviously wrong/broken/missing, give it a good clean, re-lube it and put it back together to see if it has solved the problem. Lube like this will do the trick http://tartybikes.co.uk/product.php?product_id=11151&category_id=541

One thing to check when you take it apart is the bearing inside the freehub body, the one closest to the side where the pawls engage with the hub. I have smashed this bearing twice and both times it has resulted in a grinding sound and then the freehub just locked up completely.

It might not be but definately worth a check .(Y)