Doing My Head In!

Matt Vandart

That's an oxymoron?

yeh , an oxymoron is like two opposites ( trust me i've jsut done a whole term on this kinda shit at school )

a good example of an oxymoron would be like "love , hate " "hurtful pleasure" (sorry if that sounds wrong but i couldn't think of any more!!) :lol:

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by your question but I don't think you're after the word "oxymoron" which is used to emphasis one of the two opposing terms placed together (e.g. shit-hot can mean something is awesome despite possessing a negative). It doesn't describe something nonsensical but is valuative.

The term "paradox" highlights a kind of logical nonsense that language allows if we don't understand or specify the contextual limitations of the words involved. Is that what you're after?

I knew the opposites thing but don't see that example being an oxymoron, how is any of it contradictory?

I presume he's being masoganistic or sarcastic as his original sentence is not an oxymoron.

A paradox is almost something that cannot ever be i.e. Someone being stopped by the Police: "You have the right to remain silent. Do you wish to retain that right"?

A paradox is almost something that cannot ever be i.e. Someone being stopped by the Police: "You have the right to remain silent. Do you wish to retain that right"?

Good example. The reason it becomes a paradox is that the silence isn't specified as refering to statements about a crime, reason for stopping, etc. - which is meant. It's too general to the extent that it seemingly covers all statements even if they are a confirmation about a wish to be silent about a crime, reason for stopping, etc. If the statement is changed accordingly, and made more specific, the paradox drops away.

Sometimes paradoxes arise when we try to use language to grasp things that can't be grasped by language. For example, when we say reality is continually the same but continually different; everything is the same existence across the changing difference of that existence. The important point is, the paradox isn't in the nature of the 'thing' or 'event' described. It's just the result of using an inadequate form of comprehension. Although, expressing the paradox probably gets closer to the truth than just saying either just, "the world is continually the same" or "the world is continually different". Fascinating stuff eh? This stuff excites me as much as riding does! :geek:

But yeah, the original sentence is neither paradoxical or oxymoronic so I'm not sure exactly what Matt's going on about? Quite interested to know though.

edit: I take that back. Just looked up the definition of oxymoron again and if Matt is being sexist, as mentioned, then that would constitute a suitable usage of that word.

Edited by Ben Rowlands

But yeah, the original sentence is neither paradoxical or oxymoronic so I'm not sure exactly what Matt's going on about? Quite interested to know though.

edit: I take that back. Just looked up the definition of oxymoron again and if Matt is being sexist, as mentioned, then that would constitute a suitable usage of that word.

Yer I think a lot of people are missing the fact that that's a sexist joke of an oxymoron.

Good example. The reason it becomes a paradox is that the silence isn't specified as refering to statements about a crime, reason for stopping, etc. - which is meant. It's too general to the extent that it seemingly covers all statements even if they are a confirmation about a wish to be silent about a crime, reason for stopping, etc. If the statement is changed accordingly, and made more specific, the paradox drops away.

Sometimes paradoxes arise when we try to use language to grasp things that can't be grasped by language. For example, when we say reality is continually the same but continually different; everything is the same existence across the changing difference of that existence. The important point is, the paradox isn't in the nature of the 'thing' or 'event' described. It's just the result of using an inadequate form of comprehension. Although, expressing the paradox probably gets closer to the truth than just saying either just, "the world is continually the same" or "the world is continually different". Fascinating stuff eh? This stuff excites me as much as riding does! :geek:

I am also interested in this shit.

I am glad my post has brought it out, more value than the original post, just new someone would know the answer on here.

TF KNOWS ALL

Yes my statement is sexist but merely in jest.

Edited by Matt Vandart