Chain Touching My Frame....why?

sandeeebeach219

Hey

My chain is touching the chainstay on my Echo Lite frame and I'm not sure why?

Anyone else had this problem? What can i do about it? (i was thinking of putting a washer in)

Cheers.

put a small rubber washer between the frame and snail cam this should move the frame out a bit, which will increase the chain clearance.

Had this problem on my DOB.

I tried a smaller/no spacers on cog on rear hub, to move in/out , smaller/no spacers on cranks to move freewheel in/out, bottom bracket lenghts, thinner chains i eventually got the right combination , i also wouldnt recomend spreading the frame out with washer yea its a easy fix but not a good idea

Tarty have spacers for hub and freewheel

http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/hub_spares/tryall_sprocketfreewheel_spacer/c22p11328.html

Edited by weebryan

Had this problem on my DOB.

I tried a smaller spacers on cog on rear hub, to move in/out , smaller spacers on cranks to move freewheel in/out, bottom bracket lenghts, thinner chains i eventually got the right combination , i also wouldnt recomend spreading the frame out with washer yea its a easy fix but not a good idea

How is it no a good idea?

Will it mess up something or...?

Drop out wont be square onto hub, more stress on welds, wheel moves about dropout more

i tried it didnt go well for me

I eventually took it to a local bike shop (wheel craft) and they let me use their stand and try various bb, spacers chains got a perfect line and a gap between chain and frame was a long slow proscess but word great no wheel moving until the frame cracked :giggle:

pbpic3059490.jpg

pbpic3059478.jpg

Edited by weebryan

Yep, thats why monty frames crack when you run a profile as they are only designed to take a 110mm hub where profiles are 116mm...

Then how should i fix the problem?

I have

Echo Lite frame

Trialtech screw on rear sprocket

Trialtech Z610 chain

Echo TR rear hub

Neon Carbon Sq Taper BB

Echo SL freewheel (front)

I have

Echo Lite frame

Trialtech Z610 chain

Echo TR rear hub

Neon Carbon Sq Taper BB

Take front freewheel off and try spacer my TI bash is enough to space it out on my rockman

I have

Echo Lite frame

Trialtech Z610 chain

Echo TR rear hub

Neon Carbon Sq Taper BB

Sqaure taper BB's tend be quite narrow compared to the isis ones, well thats what ive found anyway. ideally you would solve it with a uber wide isis bb and crankset. i think it is possible to get a 127.5/128mm sqaure taper bb though? unless you allready have one.... are you running a bash ring? if not try taking the freewheel off and putting a spacer imbetween the the cranks and freewheel.

There is a very simple solution to this problem and I think I know what it is, I had a similar problem with my zoo lynx.

Remove rear screw on sprocket.

Turn it round so the bit the chain runs on is next to the wheel

Replace sproket.

Will that not wreck the threads or something?

More to the point, the chain would be proper squint.....

Edited by sandeeebeach219

Is a washer between the frame and snail cam really a bad idea?

I dont see how it wont work or how it will wreck the bike?

Yep, thats why monty frames crack when you run a profile as they are only designed to take a 110mm hub where profiles are 116mm...

are you blind? i explained why it wont, it will make the hub setup wider than the frame allows and will eventually crack it.