Hs33 Pad Setup

davidbarr

Hi guys, basically I need some help on how to set my pads up well. I can get them square easily enough but one of them is always further away from the rim than the other. I've tried to sort it so they're equal loads of times, but i just can't get it. Any tips? Cheers.

I found the same today setting up my pads, due to the rings on the slaves and the maggie plastic washers, I just found trial and error the best way, took hours to get something acceptable though and even then they were too far from the rim, lots of TPA adjustment isn't ideal really, it was either that or let them rub and wait for them to wear in though. Way I got them close enough was to set it up butting against the rim and then pull the lever with the screws nipped up gently, to slide it out a tad, too much though and it will just click onto the next ring on the slave.

Nicked this off a guy on here !

Get a old CD put it between the rim and pad push the pad up against the cd you should have a the pad close to the rim and nice and square

Hop you understand

Do this and Ben Savage will take the p*ss!!! ¬.¬ i learnt the hard way :giggle:

Edit: At least i think he was ...... could've thought it was just a really good idea :huh:

Edited by Ashes

One of the ways of making sure they hit square is to face the mounts with a big file. Saw it on a TNN video somewhere, tried it on my bike and it improved matters a lot. You basically file two opposite mounting points at a time.

Just measured a CD and it was 1.25mm thick. That could work on the non drive side but since the wheel usually shifts to the right under load it probably won't be so good on the drive side. Good idea though.

Literally just thought of this, not sure if it'll work as im a lil tipsy and cba to try it.

Wind the TPA in a bit, set your brake up square against the rim. Wind tpa out. Win?

only problem with that is that tpa generally isn't evenly shared between the cylinders, tends to all be on one side. would probably work for people with a splitter though..

Wind the TPA in a bit, set your brake up square against the rim. Wind tpa out. Win?

Set one side up against the rim, push piston back in on one side, forcing the other out, wind TPA out and find you have no gap on one side and 3mm on the other :P

If you're using a clamp design which uses washers, it could be they're just deformed from age. When this happens, it makes it a nightmare trying to get them to stay in the right place. A new pair of washers should do the trick.

Thanks Mark. I've been looking at new clamps. Do you recommend the echo tr's?

Thanks Mark. I've been looking at new clamps. Do you recommend the echo tr's?

Hi david hows agoing, if you have a look on my facebook you'll see a pic i just put up yesterday. put the echo sl clamps on and there brilliant!! with the metal washer system you can push the pad hard against the rim then gentle queeze the lever till you have 1 to 1.5 mm gap. really good easy set up!! down side is there £37 a pair. have a look plus on tartys there is a guide on how to set hs33's up and there also using echo sl clamps.

cheers

Hi david hows agoing, if you have a look on my facebook you'll see a pic i just put up yesterday. put the echo sl clamps on and there brilliant!! with the metal washer system you can push the pad hard against the rim then gentle queeze the lever till you have 1 to 1.5 mm gap. really good easy set up!! down side is there £37 a pair. have a look plus on tartys there is a guide on how to set hs33's up and there also using echo sl clamps.

cheers

Cheers Gary. I had a look at them as well, since christmas is here i may as well buy them :) I'll go and check out the picture.