Beginner's Age

gkms

Hey, I was involved in a german forum's chat discussing the age at which I started to trial bike. all of a sudden I realised, I was by far not the only one to start this sport aged over 40. In the first place I found it a bit embarassing but now that I found out I am not allone, I feel much more confident.

How about you guys?

There are quite a few middle aged men who do trials (and starting out). I hope to be riding some sort of dicipline of biking when i am that sort of age (hopefully trials still but in 20 years time it may have died out lol). Nothing to be embarrased about, its all about the fun it brings, just like 40 year olds who play rugby/football etc. Only bad thing is when you fall at 30+ it takes alot longer to bounce back than 16/17 :giggle:.

Edited by Jon Alty

Your not wrong about the bouncing back mate!!.

I'm an ex squaddie so my knees are pretty shot but i'm still twice as fit as some of my younger mates ;)

Wear some thin gasket style knee pads, they are generally not uncomfortable even for long rides, can be wore under jeans and not only do they give you a bit of protection if you fall but they stop your knees from aching after all the bending.

theres a guy in arizona that just started riding last year, he's either 50 or 51. the dude is making decent progress too, especially for a gentleman of advanced age. he takes a licking and keeps on ticking, which is crucial - most recently, a stray brake lever split his scrotum down the middle. no shit. he posts on the american forum.

• 3 weeks later...

If you want to ride trials just for fun/hobby, it's never too late. You've already noticed that there are many people similar age riding. Various, if you want to go pro, i'd say it's a bit too late (just like in any sport, i guess).

Edit: so no don't sweat, keep riding, be confident.

Edited by MiuSliS

• 2 weeks later...

theres a guy in arizona that just started riding last year, he's either 50 or 51. the dude is making decent progress too, especially for a gentleman of advanced age. he takes a licking and keeps on ticking, which is crucial - most recently, a stray brake lever split his scrotum down the middle. no shit. he posts on the american forum.

That would be me, but I live in New Mexico, bordering Arizona. Almost 50 soon and I started almost 2 years ago. Now working on pedal off's & up;s, mostly developing rear wheel control. It was actually the right testicle, ripped open the sack and was literally hanging out. I rode my bike back to my vehicle which was about a mile away. Went home, got something to eat, cleaned up best I could and then went to the ER. Over 20 cc's of morphine that night but all is well.

Ateam

post-29178-0-94937900-1298400319_thumb.j

Edited by Ateam
  • Like 2