Magura Hose Repair.

foxinsocks

Well, my hs33 hose snapped right near the lever.

I've got the technical skills, but no experience with repairing maggie hoses just yet.

So, a couple questions

- Could i just a the hose a little, take out the broken piece, and re-attach the same hose?

- The hose was quite short to begin with, so in case i wanna replace it - do HS33 have specific hoses? (or can i just use any other hydraulic hose?)

Its kinda hard getting magura parts where i live (shi**y distributer), so i rather solve this with the most generic parts possible <_<

Oh, and last but not least - DOT or Water? (its the old type lever, pre-2005).

Any major disadvantages to using water?

If there are any good guides posted showing how to replace those cables, that could be useful.

Thanks...

If the hose is already pretty short then it might make it too short. You'd also need a new olive to connect it again.

Never use DOT Fluid in Maguras. They're designed to run on mineral oil, so stick with mineral oil, water, etc. Water gives great lever feel, and if you add some anti-freeze in there it'll help prevent it freezing as well as help keep your brake all lubed up and stop the seals from being damaged (almost all anti-freeze solutions contain corrosion inhibitors and lubricants - you can check on the bottle to make sure, too).

If the hose is already pretty short then it might make it too short. You'd also need a new olive to connect it again.

Never use DOT Fluid in Maguras. They're designed to run on mineral oil, so stick with mineral oil, water, etc. Water gives great lever feel, and if you add some anti-freeze in there it'll help prevent it freezing as well as help keep your brake all lubed up and stop the seals from being damaged (almost all anti-freeze solutions contain corrosion inhibitors and lubricants - you can check on the bottle to make sure, too).

Thanks.

Well, i live in Israel... i wore a jacket once this winter. I think freezing hoses are the least of my concerns :turned:

Now, as for the hose- does hs33's have specific hoses? (or can i use Shimano/Avid etc..?)

Must i use a new olive, or can i just take out the current one and use it?

A simple matter of getting a lever adjust bolt took me 3 months last time, so i really dont feel like dealing with Magura's distributer here again. (when it comes to Mountain bikes, Israel has more shops than we know what to do with. but not a single trials shop...) Ordering from Tarty is a pain - shipping here usually costs 3-5 times more than the product. Anyway, i'd rather not start ordering spare parts.

Still not sure about the water thingie, call me old fashioned but i reckon oil will be more reliable in the long run. (correct me if im wrong, of course).

I think i once saw a video tutorial here showing how to connect a new hose - anyone got a link?

Must i use a new olive, or can i just take out the current one and use it?

You need a new one, it's called a compression olive, the reason being that when you do all the fittings up it deforms to create a seal.

If you could bear it, buy a magura bleed kit. It comes with all the things you need to fix your brake a couple of times, and you'll be able to get more oil from elsewhere.

It's for the best ;)

Water gives great lever feel, and if you add some anti-freeze in there it'll help prevent it freezing as well as help keep your brake all lubed up and stop the seals from being damaged (almost all anti-freeze solutions contain corrosion inhibitors and lubricants - you can check on the bottle to make sure, too).

;)

Gotcha. But mineral oil would do all those things too, wouldn't it? :giggle:

Not sure whats in there now (water/oil). depends what the previous owner put in there. if its already filled with oil, i think i'll skip the pleasure of rising it out and using water. i've heard too many people saying it makes their pistons stick.

Anyway - how about that hose? can i use something other than magura?

Don't buy royal blood, such a rip off, however if you're loaded feel free :P

But go to a bike shop and get some hydraulic fluid, also used in many car brakes. It's exactly the same as royal blood and even mixes with it, However I bought a litre bottle for £7.

The stuff to look for is LHM+ I think.

Great stuff! :lol:

Don't buy royal blood, such a rip off, however if you're loaded feel free :P

But go to a bike shop and get some hydraulic fluid, also used in many car brakes. It's exactly the same as royal blood and even mixes with it, However I bought a litre bottle for £7.

The stuff to look for is LHM+ I think.

Great stuff! :lol:

Your right, its used in Citroen's, although its crap in the car world it seems pretty good for Maguras