Pedal Levels On Sidehop

omgnoseat

Hello,

I´ve been studying videos today on sidehop techniques after I noticed that I´m not putting enough power into them after watch a short clip of myself. I can get about 42", but feel like I can get alot higher. One thing I noticed is that my pedals are horribly aligned. It's actually painful to watch

Joe brewer seems to have it's pedals aligned perfectly:

It feels very awkward for me to put my feet in such a horizontal position, I automatically rotate my pedals back because of it. Could it be that he feels more comfortable because of his geomoetry (high bb), or is something I must train myself in?

Any tips and other general constructive criticism on my sidehop would be great!

Thanks.

Edited by omgnoseat

I think if you start practicing sidehops to your other side you will eventually be able to go a lot higher but it will feel weird at first.. Nothing wrong with your technique I do find it easier if your pedals are more horizontal when taking off but look at beleays tech he has his cranks near enough vertical.

I think if you start practicing sidehops to your other side you will eventually be able to go a lot higher but it will feel weird at first.. Nothing wrong with your technique I do find it easier if your pedals are more horizontal when taking off but look at beleays tech he has his cranks near enough vertical.

I've tried em to the other side with little success, just don't feel confident enough. I've watched baeley aswell and noticed that indeed. Still wonder if it has to do with the bike geometry though.

You need to go the other way.

This! I learned to do it your way, and i got to a stage where I couldnt get any higher. I also found it really hard to tuck going the way your going. Going the other way helped me tuck therefore getting higher on sidehops. I could only side 4 blue pallets going right foot forward, and going right sidehoping. I switched and im now getting 6 comfortably. It will feel super weird, but as Ben said It will just click! :)

Yes but everyone is not as pro as you, were trying to give the lad help and you chime in with that.

that´s nice,but actually you aren´t helping,because you´re saying it like it´s impossible to sidehop to opposite side,but for someone it feels more natural,I know because I´ve learned to sidehop to that side first and it still feels more conrolled for me,even though I can go higher to the "good" side...My advice is to learn it properly to whatever side you want and with time you can try to learn to other side.

+1

I appreciate your advice on sidehopping the other way, but the pedal alignment problem wouldn't change. Still wondering if it has to do with geometry? Maybe because of a different geometry a certain pedal alignment allows for better real wheel balance?