Decontaminating Disc Pads.

Azarathal

Just too make sure, sand them down with some light sandpaper. I found that the quicker you find out they're contaminated the most likely you are to 'decontaminate' them as the pads usually soak the oil up.

Get some boiled water, add fairy liquid ( trust me it works ) and scrub your rotar with a Brillo pads or something along the same lines. Keep scrubbing it until you dont see any more oil coming from the rotor. Leave it to dry then wash it down with water to get rid of the dried up soap.

I remember when i did this, i didnt think it worked. Turns out the rotor was covered in soap. When i went out and it started to rain it washed it all off leaving me with an awesome front brake!

Hope this has helped mate. (Y)

The rotor, bike, wheel etc were all washed down with MucOff.

So you're saying boil the pads in soapy water and then scrub them down? I washed them and poured the kettle over them within 5minutes of becoming contaminated.

Yep boil the pads in hot soapy water then scrub them down with sandpaper. Did the job for me :)

When I used to have a BB7 I contaminated the pads by the rear HS33 leaking a lot of oil during rebleeding. I just tried degreasing it in citrus Fairy water and then boiling it for 15 minutes in regular water.

Didn't turn out perfect, but I then just took really fine grade sandpaper and scrubbed the surface of the pads. Also I scrubbed the rotor whilst the wheel was spinning (be very careful! I advise you gently turn the wheel holding the tyre and do it in small increments instead of the shortcut I used.

Then went back to the 'bedding in' method with cold water and a big hill. Improvement! Then I tried the muddy sandy gritty water for a few more drags. Then back to regular cold water to get it working as near as 100% as I could!

Seemed to work, but if you can get new pads then that's better. But the methods above should be enough before you new pads arrive! :)

I found boiling water didnt work for me for whatever reason.

What we do is get a coke can or something, cut in half, put pads in the base, fill with enough meths to cover the pads, then set the whole lot alight.

Thats worked for us a few times now.

Heya guys, earlier today my pads got covered in Dot fluid. I washed them in hot soapy water, poured a kettle over them and then burnt them.

Would this be sufficient or are my pads forever contaminated?

If tyou say you got them covered then i don't think there's really much you can do, or is really worth doing. I've found it doesn't take too much to ruin them so i'd probably just shell out the £15 or so for new pads as to avoid screwing the rotor also.

Edited by Matthew62

1 Get a lemon and put the juice on a glass.

2 Get a sandpaper and pads. You need to do 8's if you want to preserve the pads "square".

3 Clean the pads with a paper towel to get out all the ferodo and put the pads on the glass with the lemon juice.

4 Put the oven to the maximum ºC. When the oven are hot as hell put the pads on it.

5 Wait 15min, take off the pads with care and eureka! Your pads are still "new".

Edited by dani_elprat@hotmail.com

haha, it also happened to me a few days ago, but they got soaked in mineral oil. Anyway, there is nothing you can do about it to get the the SAME power as used to be but you can kind of "repair" them till you buy new ones, really buying new ones is the only option, you destroyed them, thats a fact. Well heres what i did : check this vid...

the whole thing about it is just putting the pads on an alu foil and put the thing on you cooker, then when you see them get greesy, wipe it off but beware its VERY hot. Then i put them in 90% ethanol ( the alcohol you get in drug stores) and let them sit there for a while. Then i sanded them with that thing girls use for manicuring nails and they were really fine till i bought new ones. Im a newbie with all this bike things but it worked for me anyways ;D Edited by raiden

• 6 months later...

Just too make sure, sand them down with some light sandpaper. I found that the quicker you find out they're contaminated the most likely you are to 'decontaminate' them as the pads usually soak the oil up.

Get some boiled water, add fairy liquid ( trust me it works ) and scrub your rotar with a Brillo pads or something along the same lines. Keep scrubbing it until you dont see any more oil coming from the rotor. Leave it to dry then wash it down with water to get rid of the dried up soap.

I remember when i did this, i didnt think it worked. Turns out the rotor was covered in soap. When i went out and it started to rain it washed it all off leaving me with an awesome front brake!

Hope this has helped mate. (Y)

This helped me, thanks alot !

My brake is better than ever.

Meaning i always had a oily rotor lol.