Running A Rear 160Mm Bb7. Advice?

Carlperkins

heya, i bought a mod frame to start aproject etc, the frame had stripped, helicoiled then re-stripped 4 bolt mounts, so i have to run dual disc, i wanted to go for a hope rear disc but cant really afford it,

so i have bought a bb7 caliper for cheap.

the bike will be mainly for messing around on around town, probably even used by my mate who wants to get into trials, so no BIG stuff.

ill be running 160 rear and hopefully 203 front.

anyone use this setup? are they any good?

I woudl say a 203mm up front would be a bit big, especially for a beginner bike with lots of nocks and bashes because you will spend your life straightening/buying disks.

However, personal preferance really I guess, I run a 180mm upfront on my mod and its more than sufficient (Y)

you don't need a 200 rotor on the front, a 185 is plenty for a mod. infact i think it works out that a 200mm rotor on a stock has the same leverage as a 160mm on a mod. i used f+r bb7s for a year on a 26" it was ace, silent and powerful braking. maybe 180 f+r to be on the safe side? but 200 is overkill... get decent brake levers and make sure you cut the cable exterior nice and square so that it sits flush inside the levers and calipers, this is what creates alot of the spongey flexy feeling. once you've cut the cables to roughly the right length, run your angle grinder upside down and push the cable end onto the disc and it will wear it flat :)

yeah the only reason i was gonna have the 203 up front is because i already have the rotor and is mount off an old downhill bike.

i bought some bb7's but the sale fell through, so at the moment all i have is a bb5 caliper.

i think ill get 2 180 rotors w mounts, a bb7 caliper for the back, 2 levers and cables.