Sidehop Help

Trying to learn how to sidehop and I'm really struggling. I know how to do it and watched vids and read Trashzen but I just cannot get it. Is it a similar technique to pedal kicks? They just clicked so im hoping this will too!

All advice welcome and I look forward to the shouts of "practice" lol

Hope you don't mind me jumping in on this but I was gonna post a sidehop help thread as well!

I hate sidehops, one day I can nail 38" time and time again but then the next day I struggle with something about 28"!

I find that I haven't got the technique in my mind as I usually end up hopping up the wall without putting a kick in, doesn't help riding alone either as I've noone to guide me or give me advice.

When you sidehop is it like when you back hop up something at the side of you (say like if you hop onto a low rail or small wall) but due to the size you land front wheel first?

This may sound like a stupid question but it could hopefully free my mind up to get the proper technique sorted. Also, I posted a vid a few weeks back of me hopping a wall and I think it was Matt Vandart said I was positioned too close to the wall so could anyone advise on positioning and distance??

I usually go from being parallel to the wall with a few inches between my bars and the wall, is this right or should I be pointing slightly toward it??

Sorry again for hijacking the thread but hopefully the answers will help us both!

Haha no worries glad I'm not alone! I can't get anywhere close to that height and I end up hopping lower than if I started with both wheels on the ground. I end up doing an uncontrolled low hop... I'm sure it's just timing like everything!

My biggest problem is hopping next to the wall whilst I get my confidence so that by the time I'm ready to give it a go I'm too knackered to jump, or I drop the front too low on the preload and just completely fail to do anything!

the more you emphasise the move, the higher you (should) go. Really focus on getting your arse low, and springing back up! Just building up one pallet at a time is probably the way to do it.

As for positioning I like to be slightly angled towards the wall I'm trying to climb. You want to be slightly further away the higher the wall is.. But that's about the extent of my knowledge, any slow-mo videos are always good to watch for technique.

Hope that makes sense!

I think one of the main keys to sidehopping is that you should always have a clear mind. From the setup and when you on the back wheel ready to explode up. The more you think about it, the less likely you are to do it. Although, this is coming from personal experiences, It may help both of you. (Y)

Maybe watching some of these slow mo' clips will help to pick up on techniques.

Edited by Sam T

that video helped me alot. when i TRY to side i just pre load then try to tuck the bike up as quick as i can after i pre load. and it helps sidehop hopping the wright way aswell. i uset to side the wrong way but i learnt to do it the wright way and it is easier it has took me a while but i got there in the end. it also comes in handy in all types of trials riding like comps street and that lot. pallets are good to practice on aswell.

watch this.

Edited by edwards 99

As for which way we should be sidehopping I have always gone to my left even though my left foot is my strong foot. The last few days I have been riding with other people and they seem to think that you should always hop to the opposite of your strong foot. It felt seriously strange the first few attempts but I think I'm going to stick at it. Has anyone else had this issue?