Eno Freewheel Stripped When Trying To Remove......

craigmatthews17

Alright guys, im trying to take the eno off of my rear hub and mounnt it on my cranks, anyway im a mechanical technician by trade so i no what im doing before you all slate me. basically i mounted the tool in the vice, put the wheel on with the bolts in ( abit loose to allow for the initial move ) we applyed plenty of force and then bang, all four corners of the freewheel stubs to undo it rounded off, well sheared off leaving a rounded edge....

How the hell is this going to come off now!

was a brand new freewheel aswell and now its buggered :(

Brought from Tarty bikes : Eno freewheel and this cyclo freewheel tool stating:

At last... a good quality removal tool that fits ACS and White Industries ENO freewheels well (plus Echo, V!Z, Try-All, Monty etc)!

- As used in our workshop to great effect on all freewheels.

- This tool works best when bolted to the crank or wheel, then holding the tool in a vice and using the wheel or crank arm for leverage.

- High quality steel construction with large flat section at the rear of the tool.

Edited by craigmatthews17

i did indeed use a bolt to clamp it all in place! i will get pictures eventually just takes ages to upload from phone ect..

so after spedning nearly 90quid on a freewheel and then 10quid on a tool recommended by tarty it now is not coming off.... its less than a month old!! the tool doesnt look like it fits in the freewheel properly, but they obviously no more than me.

exactly! the tabs are so bloody thin!! i just popped into work work again, basically had to strip the guts out of the hub then use several washers nuts and m12 studbar through the hub clamped it all tight and it only just came off the tabs on the eno are fooked!! haha

Works every time for us - you just have to make sure the bolt is TIGHT - when you undo the freewheel the bolt will undo itself anyway :) Taking the lockring off gives you more contact too - sorry if that's obvious but wanted to point it out!

Note: The tool pictured is different to the one you bought, I think the description states that.

I just cut off the rounded off bits to get strait edges for the tool to use.

Also made a wooden insert to go around the bolt we had so the freewheel couldn't move at all to avoid it rounding off again.

A lot of effort but worth it if you cant afford a new one. There great freewheels. I've had mine second hand since starting trials again 2 years ago (Y)

Taking the lockring off gives you more contact too - sorry if that's obvious but wanted to point it out!

Note: The tool pictured is different to the one you bought, I think the description states that.

Yes i did see if you took the lock ring off to open the freewheel you would get more contact but i didnt have a tool to remove this either! anyway. after spending nearly a grand if not more at tarty my bikes finally finished!! = ) and the Echo control is soooo nice on the back wheel it just wants to stay there im very happy = ) and

Tartys service is second to none never had such fast delivery and ive got about 50 stickers, 5 chainstay protectors sweets and a tshirt lol

Post a pic up of what you're working with, the tabs, clamp etc.

I removed my eno off my cranks yesterday, fixed the cyclo fw tool to the crank using bolt/washers/nut, large spanner fitted onto cycle tool, hammer the end of the spanner, job done. Didn't need to take the lockring off, but it can only make things easier if you do.

Edited by CraigMackay