Onza Zoot Brake Booster

Blu3Berry Pie

Hello everybody! Im new here, introduction below.

I am gonna buy the onza zoot 2010 and I have heard that it is smart getting a brake booster for that bike, so here comes the question. Do you have any reccommendations for a brake booster? I am totally new to trials and this will be my first (trials) bike.

And if you know anything else that is worth upgrading at first on that bike it would be nice if you included that too, i am ordering from tartybikes so it is best to get everything into one order because the toll customs are a b#%@¤ and adds lots of extra costs.

Introduction: Hello, my name is Georg(e) and I'm from Norway, I'm 14 (and a half) years old. At my sparetime I play the computer- and video games, juggling and diabolo.

I have really wanted to get into trials riding because it looks like an awesome sport and I would love to try and hopefully learn some techniques, so this summer I have got myself a job and made money for a trials bike HOORRAY :D

I dont have any experience in trials except that once time i rode a motor trials bike at a quarry, awesome fun!

I discovered this forum and thought that it would be a good place to communicate with other trials riders.

-George

Thanks for quick reply ;)

I might be buying the Avid SD7 togheter with this bike and keeping the brake lever and cable that comes with the bike.

But brake boosters, anyone got reccommendations for that? Or are they really needed with thoose new brakes?

And tartybikes got that neat offer that they can grind the rims for me for a couple of £, do you reccommend me making them do that?

I owened a Zoot for around 4 months so can give some advise....

Brake booster: I would recomend this as the rear of the zoot frame has a lot of flex. Sorry i cannot recomend an exact one because i fitted a Magura HS33 brake to the rear of mine so did not require one. (fitting the HS33 was a nightmare, so i would recoemd a good Vee set up) If you ask tartybikes im sure they can recomend one or measure one up to let you know what fits.

If i was you i would purchase the brake booster (when you work out what one) then a good set of vee brake pads. If your a real beginer i would not bother with a rim grind just stick to the standard rim with good pads suitable for smooth rims, with the booster this will be a very good brake to start out.

Other than that the bike is good out of the box, however a spare chain would be good as the standard one stretches badly! only lasted me 1 month!

Overall its a perfect starting bike (its what i started on aswell) have fun! :)

Hello I just turned 14 too. I got a onza zoot 2010. It was not a mistake. I love it, the first upgrades I got were new brake pad ( heatsink yellows ) and new grips for the handle bars. I didn't bother with the brake booster because I still don't know what it is. Check out the thread in beginners section a few pages back called Onza zoot 2010. I started it and it should answer all your questions about the bike and ensure you that you won't regret buying a zoot.

I just bumped the thread up it should be on the first page now

Hi Georg, Im currently in exactly the same position as you, looking to get my first trials bike, and have decided to get an Onza Zoot, also from Tarty bikes.

I live in Australia and trials bikes don't seem to be available second hand (especially 24" Street bikes, The one supplier i have found only carries Inspired(too dear) and Echo(no street bikes)

I have spent the last few days researching, and this is what I have decided...(Please, everybody feel free to comment as I have NO experiance)

V-Brakes for the rear should be fine, but the booster is required. (if for no other reason than to stop the frame cracking. I had an Alloy GT MTB, so i know how much the frame can flex!!!) Try e-bay or LBS for a V-Brake booster, the Zoot spacing is 93mm. Also good brake pads (TNN LGV?) should be fitted (I am unsure of the quality of the factory ones) and the rim ground (after a few weeks of geting the hang of things).

I believe the stock brake is perfactly fine, it is the levers that may want replacing, I'm going to try the stock levers and see how they go.

The freewheel seems to have a bad rep, and should at least be carefully bedded in (gentle normal riding) or possibly ditched for an ECHO SL???

I also plan to fit an Avid BB7 CS2 front disk for a more progressive front brake. (though im unsure which size will match the Onza Fork, or if it will function with the stock brake levers.)

fiting a front disk will require a new front hub. I'm thinking the TrialTech Race Front hub looks good.

So... if i were you (which im not) I'd leave the back brake and get better levers (SD7??) and definatly fit a brake booster, you will find one somewhere.

A quick google turned these up.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=8215

http://www.rideitall.com/products/Echo-V%252dbrake-booster-%252d-Black.html

Edited by wolf_rt
  • Like 1

Thank you for the reply!

So by asking my parents for order from england their answer their respond is "NO YOU SHALL NOT, EXPESIVE SHIPPING AND TOLL" all caps rage, so they say i will have to try to get one second hand before i am allowed to order online -.-

Sooooo, I look at a site, and i discover this bike The rockman spec 1 (5500kr is about 609£ anyway it will probaly be cheaper buying this one instead of the zoot because of shipping and stuff)

Yes, it is in norwegian and here is the tartybikes site.

I know it is a 20" bike and im wondering if it is any good for a starter? And by the way the guy have switched the front brake for the elixir 5

Edited by Blu3Berry Pie

I think that bike would be Awesome for a beginner.. It doesn't sound like you wanted to ride street? and that rockman looks like a nice bike to me :)

I have no idea if its a good deal or not sorry.

personaly i have found a local shop, http://www.rideitall.com who is going to build a bike out of a new frame and second hand parts for me. Definatly going to work out far better than importing.

Im thinking of going to 26" personally... its hard to choose, especially without trying the difrent sizes. I would say just get a bike and ride it.. in a years time you will likley want something diffrent no matter what you start on. On the other hand. Get a bike that you like, so that you want to ride it!

Good Luck.

Edited by wolf_rt