Spokes Snapping?

mad-dog

hi i would like some help trying to work out why my spokes keep snapping, i bought a full build off of a member last week,

on closer inspection there where 3 spokes on the back wheel that had snapped ( on the drive side ) and it was out of true so i took to the local bike shop to get the wheel straightened and the spokes replaced,

however after about half an hours riding 1 of the spokes snapped again during a pedal kick, i replaced the spoke and went out again today and the same thing happened again to a different spoke,

i'm a little puzzled as to why they keep snapping, the wheel has been rebuilt, and i'm only doing fairly small pedal kicks ( around a meter or so ) on the flat nothing to savage,

any help would be much appreciated cheers,

mad-dog

Edited by mad-dog

spokes snap for 1 single reason... they are garbage

Any spoke that can snap is total junk you need better spokes.

sapim double butted is what you need. I have reused them on 5-6 different wheels they will last you your whole life unless you need a different length, and they are probably lighter than what you have now too.

Edited by sayshell

Not strictly true. A shit wheelbuikd or damage will kill them quickly too. If the rim's been buckled previously or the build is shoddy (not helped by only replacing a few spokes of a different type/by a different builder) then there are all kinds of weird shit going down. For so many to up do quickly there's something up with either the spokes themselves or the wheel as a whole.

Edit; should probably mention that without knowing more we can't rule out riding style either :P

spokes snap for 1 single reason... they are garbage

Any spoke that can snap is total junk you need better spokes.

sapim double butted is what you need. I have reused them on 5-6 different wheels they will last you your whole life unless you need a different length, and they are probably lighter than what you have now too.

I've snapped sapim spokes.

were they double butted sapims? I have never snapped one and I reuse them all the time. I have also bent rims really badly and still reused them and never had one break. Sapim double butted are the only spokes I have never broken ever and I think I have tried everything on the market

Edited by sayshell

If your wheel build is shit, and the spokes have lots of torsion, then that can encourage spokes to snap, regardless of how good they're meant to be.

Your wheel build is almost certainly at fault. Did you notice that any spokes were loose before they snapped? Twisted spokes normally untwist in use, undoing the nipple in the process.

Most of the time it will have nothing to do with the quality of the spoke. It is usually if the wheel wasn't build brilliantly, and the spokes were tensioned too much to begin with. OR just if they wheel is old and the spokes have had quite a bit of stress of time.

I have once used really basic spokes on a try-all front wheel I built, and never had problems from 1 year I rode it, even now my mates running it still to this day its fine.