3 Or 4 Spoke Cross Pattern

feedmemoar

Ive got some spokes from tartybikes for my profile hub and echo urban rim, ive got 177 length spokes and its circled as 4 cross. I can build wheels but don't no how to lace up a 4 cross, there's only tutorials on 3 cross. But when looking around online most people are saying that 4 cross is mainly used for 48 spoke wheels and it puts to much stress on the spokes. So im told to try 3 cross but don't want to waste my time as spokes could be too long? And if 4 cross is good then why is there nothing online to show how it's done? Any comments welcome as i wana get it sorted and ride! :)

There's no specific guide as it's exactly the same as 3x, but you cross over one more spoke. 3x is the most common type so that's why you see that so often. 4x isn't weaker either - it seems people love making stuff up when it comes to wheelbuilds. I've run wheels in the past laced 4x and had no problems at all, and there's no reason it shouldn't work fine.

Those spokes are also going to be too long for 3x by quite a big margin (think it was under 170mm for 3x on one side...).

I would keep it 3 cross! 4 cross makes the wheel to stiff less give for hard landings etc ;)

well he can't do it 3 cross if he has spokes for 4 cross, having a wheel "too stiff for hard landings" is kinda false, a stiff wheel is awesome for everything, BMXs have used 4 cross builds as the accepted way of building wheels for years and their wheels cope fine with landing (most of the time anyway).

wWll i put it together, but noticed where my spokes snapped before the rim has got some cracks, so time to bin it and get a new one, but i have a profile hub (36 spoke) and finding a rim available for that is a nightmare, tarty dont have the try-all one in stock. And 4 cross is a nightmare if you snap a spoke as can't just take it out and add a new one, as the spokes cross over the hub, so i will be asking for a 3 cross next time. I do appreciate all the comments though.