Preowned Carbon Parts

F.N.G

Hey Guys.

So I did want to buy some carbon bars a while ago, so I asked a few people and they said it is not worth buying it used because you don't know if the person your buying it from have been doing 11ft drops on it everyday.

So I was wondering, what would you do?. preowned Which would save you money or Brand new which you can be sure about it's you breaking/snapping not the person that you brought it from.

Thanks, Tom.

It depends entirely on the part and you have to look at each case individually.

If the part is generally reliable i won't have an issue with it. Carbon RB lever, onza carbon bars. Bought those second hand without thinking.

It helps to look at the member, check out their videos see what level they're at. If they're competent but don't go big the part should be fine. If they're new it might have been dropped about a bit so get detailed pictures before handing over any cash as carbon is significantly weaker when the fibres are damaged. Deep scratches or chips are a no, no. If the person is a great rider and goes huge then there's obviously a higher chance that they won't last as long before failing.

Just use some common sense. Every second hand part is more likely to fail early, but if you're careful it should last a decent while before it does.

• Like 1

I think it's worth bearing in mind how young/light/whatever you are as well - you're not going to be putting the sorts of stresses that some people would be. Personally I think you'd be fine with used carbon parts, but is there really a need for you to have them yet? When I was learning as quick as you are I made my bike almost as heavy as it could be to try and gain some strength (although it never happened!) as I was growing...

With a used carbon part you should take a slightly different tack as opposed to aluminium stuff. With ally parts age is an important factor as even on an undamaged part fatigue will work its magic slowly. A carbon part can theoretically go through infinite cycles (depending on resin used) but significant damage (deep scratches for example) will severely reduce the parts ultimate strength.

EDIT: Just a note, I wouldn't write off a carbon part just because of a few scratches, you should take into account where they are and how bad they are before deciding how safe it is to use, often scratches don't even go beyond the surface resin...

Edited by Shaun H