Upgrade Help

onza1

Have you converted it to single speed? Dumped the cassette, cables, shifters and derailleur etc? I assume u'd lose a resonable amount there for fairly cheap. Not sure if you were just asking about forks but thought I'd mention it =)

The best place to save weight is your wheels.

If you want to upgrade forks, try buying some trialtech forks - they'll be lighter than the onza lite guys.

Are you talking mainly rims or hubs? I compared the weight of the standard Alex DX32 rim to a Try-All rim and there's only ~70g difference

Are you talking mainly rims or hubs? I compared the weight of the standard Alex DX32 rim to a Try-All rim and there's only ~70g difference

Wheels are important because it's rotational weight.

Tyres can often save quite a bit of weight too.

As for the OP, if you want to know how much your forks weigh... take them off and weigh them!

If you believe it to be true, then it is true....

Either way your forks are light and they're in one piece. Just use them. You're not going to significanlly improve by shedding 150 grams of your front end.

You seem happy with the weight and now deem them light, so therefore think of them as being acceptable....it's just the power of suggestion, it's not based on anything real - you're purely affected by what you perceive to be true.

What i'm getting at is the bizarre trait so many riders have of playing component roulette with their bikes rather than just getting on with it and improving by riding more, and trying harder.

No. My point is the likes of Ali C and Danny Mac ride 12kg (probably a good bit more for Danny) and it doesn't hold them back at all.

If you want the back lighter then taking weight off the front might only further increase your problem as the majority of the weight of your bike will be entirely centred around the back of the bike, so your overall perception of the weight of the back end might worsen.

You can't afford a new rim, but you can afford forks?

If you can't afford to do anything about it, then just ride some more, or drill the thing if your that concerned.

Well yeah because if need a rim hub and a freewheel!!! Wereas forks are half tht price! I can't build a new rear wheel for less than £120 whereas forks are only about £60

So all in all I want a lighter bike yeah and you were no help by making some answer up!!!!!!!

Edit: Danny mac and ali c ride street I don't!!!

Edited by onza1

You said you only wanted a new rim.....

Also why would you need a new freewheel?

Why can't you just put a new rim on your current hub and freewheel...?

Why do you need to change anything at all?

Why not address the tyre first....can save porbably the same on that as switching forks...

What sort of weight are you trying to loose?

What do you have to spend on upgrades?

See if you want some real help it might be worth gracing us with a bit of information so perhaps people can help you out.

Cuz I have a crap freehub!! Which means I need a new hub and a freewheel cuz I can't afford a hope pro 2 also I'd need new spokes and someone to build it so atleast £120 if not a lot more!

As for the gyres looking on tarty the hi rollers are one of the lightest available

I have maximum of £80 to spend making it lighter! Untill christmas when may have a bit more

geez thats a big argument lol

Cuz I have a crap freehub!!

I'm riding a stock Phase 1.1 atm and i aggree the back end is quite heave and the free hub ain't great. so why bother wasting £60 replacing perfectly good forks when you could just save up a little bit more and get a new rear wheel which will fix both problems (weight & freehub)

Or just do what i'm planning on and pick up a decent second hand one off here for half the price (Y)

I think you should take Matthew's advice, I dunno if you just need more than one person to tell you, but you should just wait. If you're riding a Mad I'm assuming you've not been riding a great deal of time, and perfecting your technique will reap far more benefits than saving even a kilo. If you were given a carbon Monty M5 or whatever it is, the difference you notice would be less than what a few weeks / month of hard training would be.

they look like 26" wheels to me could ring up rock n roll bikes and ask for spec and stuff only thing with the front wheel is you will need a Conversion Kit QR for the Front wheel as looks like its got 20mm through axle adaptor in the picture

DDG are good have got some DDG wheels that are nearly ten years old and have used them for trials and all sorts

have never had to get spoke key on them or anything and are quiet light