Dumb Question

J Trials 31

I really don't know how to explain it, but why do some hubs have nuts on the end. Like this one for example.

http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/1920_inch_wheels/onza_pro_wheelset/c61p11428.html

And others with allen key type like this one

http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/1920_inch_wheels/onza_blade_wheelset/c61p11427.html

Is one any better than the other, and can you swap them and such? I've had both type and it seems the type with the nut may slide about in the frame more? I don't want wheels that move. LOL

Just need some explanation on this stuff.

Probably little difference in terms of clamping force , but the difference is that the bolts depicted in the uppermost link screw onto a solid axle , whereas the the others screw into a hollow cylindrical axle .

I guess the hollow axle like on Hope's Pro series an Chris King may be lighter and manufactured to higher tolerances than solid axles .

Suppose it depends on your setup really. I found with my onza hub's allen key axle that it couldn't hold the front wheel still with a 160mm disk and 6 piston clim8 caliper (overkill brakes though). The alloy cup that clamped onto the fork was deforming and letting the wheel slip out of the forks under full braking for me. However, I've never ever had any issues with them on other bikes in the past using any other disk/rim brake systems ^_^ . Even if you do ever have issues with one or the other, you'll find you can almost certainly swap and change between axle types very easily for only a few £/$. (Y)

Nut type axles will usually be stronger (since they'll be steel) but appear on cheaper, heavier hubs, particularly with cup and cone bearings. Allen screw hubs will be lighter and generally nicer to work with as you only need an allen key rather than big ol' spanners.

you'll find you can almost certainly swap and change between axle types very easily for only a few £/$.

Really?

Nut type axles will usually be stronger (since they'll be steel) but appear on cheaper, heavier hubs, particularly with cup and cone bearings. Allen screw hubs will be lighter and generally nicer to work with as you only need an allen key rather than big ol' spanners.

Really?

yeah, but it really depends upon the hubs. Hence why i didn't say 'always'. I now have a 9mm solid axle on the hub i was talking about before.