To Disc Or Not To Disc?

smith.93

I am looking at getting a new bike soon and i am wondering whether i should get a rear disc or stick to a maggie. None of my mates have a rear disc so i can't try it out. just wondering what people think of it and would they go for the rear disc or a maggie?

i have ridden both disc and magura on the rear and i have to say they both have there good and bad points,

if your looking for a brake that will honk with loads of bite and excellent hold go magura (magura pads have softer compounds than disc pads which lets them mould to the shape of your rim whilst braking)

on the other hand if you want to ride in mud rain and snow but dont want to grind your rims go disc (disc pads are easier to contaminate but just as easy to clean)

i have ridden both disc and magura on the rear and i have to say they both have there good and bad points,

if your looking for a brake that will honk with loads of bite and excellent hold go magura (magura pads have softer compounds than disc pads which lets them mould to the shape of your rim whilst braking)

on the other hand if you want to ride in mud rain and snow but dont want to grind your rims go disc (disc pads are easier to contaminate but just as easy to clean)

...wut?

yo, iv just made the switch back to a maggy, after riding nothing but dual disc on my recent bikes, i love running rear disc, providing its set up right, you get great modulation, amazing hold and you really can fit it and forget about any worries.

to be fair the only reason iv gone back to maggy is so i can run a king hub again

i would in an ideal world run a king with a disc but its alot of hassle, not to mention alot of weight to have over your rear axle

give disc a go, you wont be disappointed, but definitely get a hope either mono trial or a v2(iv used both on the rear and there both great)

yo, iv just made the switch back to a maggy, after riding nothing but dual disc on my recent bikes, i love running rear disc, providing its set up right, you get great modulation, amazing hold and you really can fit it and forget about any worries.

to be fair the only reason iv gone back to maggy is so i can run a king hub again

i would in an ideal world run a king with a disc but its alot of hassle, not to mention alot of weight to have over your rear axle

give disc a go, you wont be disappointed, but definitely get a hope either mono trial or a v2(iv used both on the rear and there both great)

i am not looking to buy a chris king hub so you would recommend a rear disc?

i am not looking to buy a chris king hub so you would recommend a rear disc?

definitely! you cant go wrong aslong as the brake is set up and bedded in properly, it will work amazingly

that is provided you get a hope or a decent brake, i had an echo and that wasnt bad after it bedded in, was much better with some hope pro pads in.

definitely! you cant go wrong aslong as the brake is set up and bedded in properly, it will work amazingly

that is provided you get a hope or a decent brake, i had an echo and that wasnt bad after it bedded in, was much better with some hope pro pads in.

I haven't used an Echo but I'm sure they're good, I highly recommend the hopes, been using them for quite a while now and they're perfect. Magura Louise and Martas are great as well

i've used discs, vees and maguras on a range of bikes, currently riding rear disc on my 24" and it's a love hate thing, i'll be going back to rear vee when the weathers nice, maybe i'm unlucky and a bit heavier than your average rider but i can often get my disc to slip backwards, frustrating when i'm almost up that wall but theres no chance to "fight" my way up it cause the brake doesn't hold, won't hurt you to try it out though as said. i've used a 203mm disc on the back of a 26" that was prety shit to be honest. it worked but i had no confidence in it

As far as rear discs go, I've hated them on 26" bikes. They make the bike feel all wobbly.

On a mod they're ok but wouldn't be my personal choice. I love the bite of Maguras especially when you're releasing the brake. When it's off, it's off. Disc brakes have an intermediate state where they're dragging a bit, I find it rather hard to get used to when riding DD mods.

It's all a matter of preference, I like my bikes to be sharp, stiff and responsive and in such a setup there's no room for disc brakes.

When I had dual disc (and finally got them working thanks to a hope service) it was amazing, I'd built my wheels rock solid and ran 25psi front + 20psi rear which on a mod used to be quite hard. It fell very solid and agile to me.

Now on the 24" I'm starting to like Maggys although I'd still prefer a disc.