Helicoil Kit

DanM1999

Hey,

I have a rear magura on my Mod and I by accident put the bolt in sideways and I killed the threads... So my brother suggested getting a

helicoil kit to fix it. We found one cheapish but just don't have a bloody clue how to use it. So can anyone share how to use them and sort

out my bike. I am killing for a ride so come on guys help me out please!!!

Cheers Dan.. XD

The kit will have instructions in it ;)

Basically you need to drill out the old threads using the drillbit provided in the kit, run the tap down to cut the oversized thread and then insert the helicoil itself. You will need a tap wrench although you can do it holding the tap in the chuck of your drill and turning it by hand (never under power!). Its probably best to try to use a drill with a slow speed setting, will give you a bit more control over the process, you could probably turn the drill by hand (again) because youre cutting such a soft material. Its pretty important to make sure you drill straight and true into the brake mount. When cutting the actual threads, make one half turn clock wise, back it off a quarter to break the swarfe out and then continue clockwise again, repeat till you have sufficient thread depth. Dont worry if the inserts are only the same depth as the diameter of the screw and not as deep as the hole youve just drilled, it will be plenty strong enough and you wont need to put a second insert in there.

Pricey?Are you kidding me?

he may be on about a full set, with all sizes, drills and taps.

or the other sort where you can get a solid steel thread insert instead of steel wire insert, which tend to be more pricey, and are definatly stronger than the standard thread and stronger than the wire thread insert.

Im just cheap i guess. I remember it was like 20 or 30 dollars for the kit (drill,tap,helicoils,instructions) for 1 specific size i needed. Came with plenty extra heicoils too, i only needed one. I guess it wasnt that expensive after all. Definity worth it cause they work and will get you back up and running.

Edited by Philly_Biker