Hollow Star Nuts

Monkman

I have some 20" echo urban forks and on tarty it says they dont fit...is this 100% or can it be forced in carefully....

Im trying to get a clean look to my bike so have drilled my frame to take my rear hose and the plan was to run the from through the forks..... until i read this :(

I did it. Twice. Basically squash it in every direction. Easy if you have a vice. Then you may have to file the corners down ( youll see what i mean when you do it) then start to bang the starnut into the steerer and it will leave 5 marks. File a little groove on each mark, then bang the nut in all the way. What you might find is that only one of the 2 starnut things works, te second one might break. Let me know if you need more in depth help.

The trouble with that is that by the time you've shortened and/or bent each of the plates on the star nut, they're no longer holding nearly so well in the steerer. Filing slots in your steerer will help the nut to sit better but can then introduce all kinds of other issues. It's the kind of thing that can physically be done, but is far from recommended if you want it to actually do its job properly. May as well just tighten things up and remove the star nut completely if you're going to go down that route :rolleyes:

The trouble with that is that by the time you've shortened and/or bent each of the plates on the star nut, they're no longer holding nearly so well in the steerer. Filing slots in your steerer will help the nut to sit better but can then introduce all kinds of other issues. It's the kind of thing that can physically be done, but is far from recommended if you want it to actually do its job properly. May as well just tighten things up and remove the star nut completely if you're going to go down that route :rolleyes:

yeah I agree, when i did it i didnt file slots in the steerer though, just 5 little notches at the top to get the starnut started off.

it was pretty sturdy, it wasnt 100% sturdy like a normal starnut, i'd say 70%.

what can be done.. which is a pain in the arse but has the best of both worlds..

i did this same thing on a jump bike i used to have, i put the big starnut in first and it wasnt very strong at all, abit of torque on the bolt would have pulled it out, so.. i got a normal starnut, and drilled/smashed/pulled out the inner threaded part, so i had the 2 little star shaped black things on their own, then use a pipe to just sit on top of it and bang that in after. that way when you do the starnut up, the big one will get caught on the little star and its stronger. also the bolt will fit through the little star as the threaded bit is removed..

as i said.. pain in the arse but it does work,

If this is just cosmetic couldnt you just get a headlock (heard the gusset ones are good) and a tnn top cap or drill your current one slightly bigger than the hose and do it this way or will this not work?

In my opinion this is the best option as a headlock will not slip and there will be very little modifications made only downside is it if a few grams heavier.