Help! Thread Problem

CalRobbo341

This is the second time this has happened to me now!

Right, I have these cranks but in 165mm, square taper and a different bash ring, and the first time after a while the left hand crank where the pedal goes the thread just disappeared, and just out testing my new booster and I put a new pedal in the other day and the thread has just gone, completely. Is it worth buying a tap and dye kit, or buy a new crank or unless anyone knows a good way of getting it to stay? Worse thing is I am meant to be riding Liverpool tomorrow :( Oh and I also have a spare right hand crank so could I use that instead of buying anything? Thanks (Y)

Edited by Callumm

I do pedal backwards quite a lot and I am doing a welding course in college but I don't want to go through that much trouble, my next questions is could I use a right hand crank (the one that you put the free wheel on)? It also may look like they have thread on, it does the tiniest bit but it will not go all the way on and stay tight on.

Can I use this crank (the one with the free wheel?)

Thanks (Y)

post-30770-0-61510500-1330166915_thumb.j

Edited by Callumm

Yeah, not as tight as he must be doing them up, though.

They strip from being too loose rather than too tight. On the face of the crank arm you can see that around the hole where the pedal axle goes there's a sort of gouge around half of it - that's where the bike's been pedalled (quite a lot by the looks of things?) with the pedal loose, and as it wobbles a bit the shoulder at the end of the threaded section of the pedal axle just mashes into the crank arm. While that's going on, the threads are getting stripped too.

If you can't find a suitable replacement, we offer a pedal thread helicoiling service. Think it's around £10-12 for it, so usually cheaper than buying a brand new single crank arm.

what are the pedal threads like? is the pedal axle bent? have you smashed the pedal hard when riding? make sure there is a washer between the pedal and crank arm.

had the same crank thread problem on a mouintain bike. was a result of smashing the pedal into a rock at speed.

If you can't find a suitable replacement, we offer a pedal thread helicoiling service. Think it's around £10-12 for it, so usually cheaper than buying a brand new single crank arm.

Was looking on the site yet I couldn't see it, must have just skipped past it..

Shall do that as it is the cheaper option :)

Could you perhaps tell me what to do though :L, purchase the option, I pay for postage, you do the job, then I pay for postage again?

Thanks (Y)