Illustrator Help

club_card

Ok so anybody out there who uses illustrator may be able to help me here.

Basically I've made a square out of single 2px horizontal lines with a 2px separation and I put a triangle shape on the top and did object/clippingmask/make, so now I have a triangle made up of lines. What I would like to do is make these lines into strokes or seperate shapes so i can give each one a different colour, how would I do this? The expand apearance option can't be selected.

It's probably really easy but I just can't work it out and I'm fairly new to illustrator. Any help will be much apreciated!

Edited by club_card

yes I tried that but I wanted the lines to have diagonal cuts on the tips I wouldn't of been able to do that with the pen tool, But I managed to do it in the end using rectangles. I spaced them out evenly then drew a triangle over the top and adjusted the anchor points on the ends to the triangle shape. I'm sure there is an easier way of doing it though. And I don't know if you Understand my shitty explanation.

Thanks for the replies!

Using rectangles, that's just nasty!

Might be too late now, but here is how you do it using lines.

- You don't need any clipping mask or anything, just draw a rectangle using the pen tool.

- Select the entire triangle

- Copy it three times

- Paste in place 3 times (ctrl + F)

- Make each triangle the colour for the different line

Repeat for each triangle:

- Select a triangle go to the top bar: Object > Path > Outline stroke

- The stroke is now a shape :D

- Remove each unwanted segment using the delete anchor point tool (hold leftmouse on pentool).

Might seem like alot of hassle, bit it shouldn't take more than 1 min.

And you are assured that each line connects seamlessly to the other :)

All the replies are wrong so far I'm afraid. You almost had it but don't make a clipping mask. Create your lines and place your triangle on top. Making sure your lines are grouped (for now) select both and go to the appearances panel and select trim/or divide. The triangle shape will cut through the lines so delete the unwanted outside elements and the triangle itself and you'll be left with your lines that you want. As you've not put a clipping mask in ten you'll be able to select each line and edit them once you've ungrounded the selection.