Yaabaa 949 Mods (Drilling!)

the mysterious leemur

Right so I'm getting my old YaaBaa frame back! :dance: And thanks to my awesome tech/design & manufacture teacher at my school , I will be taking it in to do some work on at a lunch sometime. Basically I'm going to try and shave down as much weight as possible from the frame as it is a bit heavy ( 1.8kg iirc) , anybody have any suggestions of areas to save some weight? I have some plans at the moment but would be interested to see what ideas people can think off.

Afterwards I will be spraying the frame black , build it with silver/black parts and put blue koxx trades on. Pics will be up when the project is complete (not for a while). Thanks :nerd:

spraying it will counter any weight saving efforts, so raw that bad boy, drill the headtube, seat tube and maybe the wierd extra bit of tub that meets the toptube and stays...

i presume it's this one:

02.jpg

I got a 2003 echo team down to 1.1kg with a file and drill. Internal cable routing is a piece of cake, looks a lot harder than it is. Cut vertical slots in seattube, a lot of the headtube, get rid of any bash mounts, shorten and file dropouts, cut out the 'tail', chop off disc mount, get rid of any brake lugs etc etc

no problem bud.

You could also include a hole in the BB, being lazy again but i remember someone drilling the TT with 4 or 5 big holes, not 100% sure on it though! (i think it was an Ashton)

Anodising is lighter than raw somehow. £80 well spent i'd say ;).

Where the hole on the frame is (TT meeting ST/ Brace) you could 'shave' around it so it sits flush and looks nice!

I love seeing builds so make sure you slap some pictures of your progress on here :)