Lo-Pro Road/racing/commuter Bikes- Need Help!

Jake.

Basically, a lo-pro is a road bike that uses a 700c rear wheel, and varies between 600-650-700c front wheel, most common one is a 650c.

They have a unique frame shape to adapt to the wheels/riding position, and I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with one? I'm extremely interested and am looking to buy one, if anyone could link me to any sites that sell them that'll be great.

Here's a few pictures of what they're like.

Pedalroom-Affinity.jpg

295012_10151575872265595_573465594_24080749_1620173833_n.jpg

So yeah I think you've got the idea by now.

Those look like one of those magic eye pictures. In the first picture, I was convinced the front wheel was bigger than the back (not the other way round). They look stupid, by the way. One of my friends used to have an old school track bike that was a bit like that. Had a really small front wheel (like 20" or something). Was really uncomfortable to ride - you felt like you were craning your neck the whole time. So now hipsters won't be looking at oncoming traffic. Awesome.

Also - how is that first bike standing up?!

• Like 1

Way better replies than I expected, thought people were going to take the piss haha.

Tomm, I can see what you mean about the front wheel looking bigger; if that was my bike (I wish) I'd have have a 40mm rise front rim so it didn't look as silly.

Old school versions of these look quite odd, especially with the webbed bits in the frame to make it stronger. I prefer ones with straight tubing, sometimes I like curved ones it depends on the overall build.

Haha, they may be uncomfortable to ride (depending on the set up) but they'd be great for commuting quickly due to the good sprint position.

Revolver, you say 'normal' road bikes are bad enough. I'm used to leaning forward and being in the position that people who haven't ridden much road/track would hurt themselves. That's another reason why I want to get a lo pro, so I can almost force myself to ride in that position so when it comes to actual races on my road bike I won't suffer in the drops anywhere near as much.

I had a look at Affinity, it looks like they offer a lo-pro frame for $500. I might be interested in that depending on shipping, still got decide whether to ride 700c front or 650c!

700c front

Pretty sure I can change fork to 650c and a 650c wheel if/when I want so I'd probably just build my entire bike onto it. Can't wait to build a lo-pro up.

Edit: Plus I found out the affinity frame would be $666.65 dollars including shipping haha, I had to add a $100 chrome plated paint option to it otherwise it wouldn't go through to checkout.

Edited by JMCD

Pretty sure I can change fork to 650c and a 650c wheel if/when I want so I'd probably just build my entire bike onto it. Can't wait to build a lo-pro up.

Edit: Plus I found out the affinity frame would be $666.65 dollars including shipping haha, I had to add a $100 chrome plated paint option to it otherwise it wouldn't go through to checkout.

I'd think twice about changing a 700c fork for a 650 fork! BB height will drop and head angle will be steeper and as a result twitchy steering!

As for where to buy a lo pro, no one makes 'true' lo pro's any more- 650 or 24" front and 700 rear...they were banned from competition in the late 80s/90s by the UCI... However you do still get frames with pursuit geometry- a bit more aggressive than normal track geo. Keep an eye out on ebay for lo pro time trial bikes, if you want to convert to fixed then it's worth getting a frame with semi-horizontal rather than vertical drop outs.

And they are definitely not your everyday rider...the low front end and handle bar position isn't comfortable for prolonged periods of time! If you run one with bull horns, the position of the bars will be the equivalent of riding round everywhere on the drops of a roadie with drop bars. Oh, and the sizing can be a bit funny too...sizing can differ between builders!

Oh and as for sites, keep an eye on lfgss . com

Lo pro's come up for sale from time to time...

Edited by banashapan
  • Like 1

I'd think twice about changing a 700c fork for a 650 fork! BB height will drop and head angle will be steeper and as a result twitchy steering!

As for where to buy a lo pro, no one makes 'true' lo pro's any more- 650 or 24" front and 700 rear...they were banned from competition in the late 80s/90s by the UCI... However you do still get frames with pursuit geometry- a bit more aggressive than normal track geo. Keep an eye out on ebay for lo pro time trial bikes, if you want to convert to fixed then it's worth getting a frame with semi-horizontal rather than vertical drop outs.

And they are definitely not your everyday rider...the low front end and handle bar position isn't comfortable for prolonged periods of time! If you run one with bull horns, the position of the bars will be the equivalent of riding round everywhere on the drops of a roadie with drop bars. Oh, and the sizing can be a bit funny too...sizing can differ between builders!

Just for interests sake I've got this on the back burner as a project at the mo...

Oh and as for sites, keep an eye on lfgss . com

Lo pro's come up for sale from time to time...

Thanks for that reply dude, took me back a bit.

So all the 'new' frames now are designed for 700c forks? And yeah I realize that UCI screwed them over which is a shame. A pursuit frame is what I'm looking for, I was watching this on eBay it didn't meet its reserve so I messaged the guy and he said he would accept 200 picked up from in London, not sure it's a good price or whatnot. Lovely frame and 55cm is the seat tube height I'm looking for, I keep pondering upon it but by the time I do want it, it'll most likely be gone.

The full lo-pro bikes I see, seem to start around £500 (a decent one) and go up to £2000odd. I thought it would have been more practical to swap my parts over and buy a new front wheel if I get a 650c one. I'll attach a picture of my bike at the bottom, it has changed a bit from the photo but gives you a good idea.

I realized that the riding position wouldn't be comfortable after longer periods of time but in a weird way that makes me even more attracted to them, I'd use bullhorns with 60mm drops which would bring it waaaaaaaay down haha.

That looks so nice! How much did you get it for? I could be a potential buyer if you happen to give up on this project.

I have also been scanning lfgss, but haven't really found 'the one'. Seen a few really nice ones though! Saw a cheap affinity on there which had unfortunately sold.

Awesome to have someone on this forum that knows a thing or two about lo-pros.

Edit: Here's the photo, you probably saw it in the other thread.

def88dfa.jpg

Edited by JMCD

Ha! Wouldn't call myself a wealth of knowledge on the subject, but happy to share what I know!

Yes to the 700c forks question, although you do still get some TT bikes coming with both wheels at 650c size... But would always say stick to the size of forks the frame was designed for!

Yeah, the prices vary- all depends on groupset, tubing and builder/brand of the frame, of course with a bit of research you can get to understand what groups are worth, and what framesets go for. Also a lot of the carbon gear gets the prices up! Like wheels etc- not cheap. For mine I paid just over a couple hundred beans, with front wheel as well. Needs blasting and a respray due to it's current condition- but building trials rig as the priority, so like I say it's on the back burner! Don't think I'll be letting it go, but I'll give you a shout if I do ;)

Keep your eyes pealed- something will come up at some point! Nice looking ride! What frame you running?

Ha! Wouldn't call myself a wealth of knowledge on the subject, but happy to share what I know!

Yes to the 700c forks question, although you do still get some TT bikes coming with both wheels at 650c size... But would always say stick to the size of forks the frame was designed for!

Yeah, the prices vary- all depends on groupset, tubing and builder/brand of the frame, of course with a bit of research you can get to understand what groups are worth, and what framesets go for. Also a lot of the carbon gear gets the prices up! Like wheels etc- not cheap. For mine I paid just over a couple hundred beans, with front wheel as well. Needs blasting and a respray due to it's current condition- but building trials rig as the priority, so like I say it's on the back burner! Don't think I'll be letting it go, but I'll give you a shout if I do ;)

Keep your eyes pealed- something will come up at some point! Nice looking ride! What frame you running?

Thank you for sharing what you know. :)

Ah I thought I saw some TT bikes with small looking wheels, and I will definitely stick to the size forks the frame was designed for now.

I was looking to spend £200 at the very most on a good condition frame, and this seems pretty impossible right now haha. Just over a couple hundred quid for a pair of carbon wheels I'd say that's a steal. The frame looks in very good condition in the photo, but what colour are you going to re-spray it? I'd love to buy it off you if you ever let it go, and you'd know it'll go to a good home. ;)

Thank you, I will keep my eyes peeled, hope I see a bargain but no rush I'm looking to complete a lo-pro build by winter time.

Ah thanks dude! I bought the bike as a whole (with different bars/saddle/seatpost/pedals etc etc) for £500, the frame was 'unbranded' but I found it on eBay earlier today by surprise. It's a 56cm I believe. I'm thinking of buying a new wheelset for the bike as the green is starting to bother me (may even spray it black/raw it).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Singlespeed-fixie-track-frame-black-700C-4-sizes-/260649911545?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&var=&hash=item3caff204f9#ht_1490wt_1186

Looks good! All black wheels would be stealthy, but I reckon silver rims on your ride would look pretty boss.

I think you may have misunderstood part of my previous post- but it wasn't the clearest, so easy to misread! ...was saying carbon wheels can bump up the price quite a lot. Then that what I paid for the frame and front wheel!

If I got black wheels I'd have to get one without a CNC'd braking surface, not sure how it'd affect the braking or if it would rub the black off either but it looks so good without the thin silver braking line. I'd end up getting a black crankset too, there's a few I like for around £40. Also putting a black 100x10 orbea stem on, I wire-wooled off the logo though (thought it'd look weird with the rest of the bike having absolutely no logos/writing on it). I have a black charge plug saddle waiting to be put on, and these bullhorns are coming in the post, they're taking a while though, it's been 2 weeks now I'm getting a little worried and they're not replying to emails. http://www.fixedgearfrenzy.com/track-bike-parts/handlebars/w-base-durcus-one-43-bullhorn-bar-2012-pursuit-handlebars

Ah, yeah they do bump the price up quite a lot haha.