Tablets

Luke Dunstan

I'm thinking of possibly buying a tablet at the end of the month, and wanted to know if anyone else has bought one recently?

The two that seem to stand out, are the Google Nexus 7, and the Amazon Kindle Fire HD. They're both around the £160-£200 mark. Anyone have any experience with either?

Don't want an iPad so don't even bother. :P

Edited by Luke Dunstan

Nexus 7 over everything.

Although wait a few weeks, the 32gb will be announced next week.

Had mine since a few days after launch and it's been amazing. Not had a need for a laptop at home since having it to be honest.

Only annoying things so far, is some websites aren't ready for touch screen, especially ones with google maps on. And it has no video out, which is a bit of a shame, but for a 200 quid tablet, it punches way above it's weight.

I would say get the nexus 7. It's a good price for what you get and you'll have access to all the android apps unlike the kindle.

If I was going to get a tablet I would spend abit more and get the ipad mini though :P

See I am tempted now! Looks like a great size, and previously owning an iphone I could get all my aps back!!

But the processor and screen just seem way below par. I'll wait for some serious reviews.

Just got a lump sum back for the tax man so might push the boat out!.

The resolution is lower but the screen is bigger than the nexus 7 so you end up seeing more of the web page your on. Also there are loads of apps designed for the ipad so they work better than the scaled up phone apps you get on android.

You get just as many tablet applications on Nexus 7 as you do up-scaled phone applications.

The idea isn't to see more, but to be able to comfortably hold the tablet in one hand, the whole point of the 7" tablets, and even on smaller screen be able to see what you are doing, which is where the much better resolution on the Nexus 7 comes into it's own. Not to mention the processor is insanely powerful and so is the graphics. I also think the 16gb release is missing a trick. The Nexus 7 get's a 32gb option next week, and i can quite often fill up the 16gb when i put TV show's and films on there, which will be even quicker when you use the apple store to download high resolution films and tv shows when i pick smaller shows to fit more on.

Unless your life is in apple products, there really is no logical reason to get an iPad mini over a Nexus 7 or equivalent, the iPad mini brings absolutely nothing new to the table, and it's more expensive.

Yes your probably right I was just going on what I had seen in the keynote, they compared the two but obviously they're going to make it seem better.

The only logical reason I can see to get the ipad is the design, the build quality is probably better and it does look nicer in my opinion but looks aren't everything. Apple products are always so bloody expensive.

Love or hate the iPad mini (I personally don't like it) but Apple do make a very good tablet and the user interface is in my mind easily the best on the market. Also there is so much talk about resolution - and it annoys me to be honest. Everyone is sold on the number of pixels without actually giving any thought to the fact that after a certain density the more pixels that are added don't equate to a clearer or sharper image as your eyes can't determine them. The retina display on the new iPads is quite something - if you added a couple hundred extra pixels in to a 7" screen you just wouldn't be able to tell.

If you want something that will continue to last over a good few years and will be able to be updated to the latest software for free I'd recommend the iPad - I've not had much experience with brands outside of Apple, but from my limited interaction I see no need to as everything else not only looks inferior, but they're never as enjoyable to use or interact with.

I have an iPad 2, its a pretty cool toy and has now replaced my laptop as I just don't need it anymore due to the iPad being fine for my portable duties (mainly uni work and as a teaching aid at school) and having a beasty desktop to do proper stuff on. Downsides are the home buttons failing (same has happened on my iPhone 4) although i'm fairly confident Apple will sort that quickly going by others experiences. Roughly 80% of the people on my PGCE course have an iPad, the handful that don't are regretting buying their Nexus....

I have an iPad 2, its a pretty cool toy and has now replaced my laptop as I just don't need it anymore due to the iPad being fine for my portable duties (mainly uni work and as a teaching aid at school) and having a beasty desktop to do proper stuff on. Downsides are the home buttons failing (same has happened on my iPhone 4) although i'm fairly confident Apple will sort that quickly going by others experiences. Roughly 80% of the people on my PGCE course have an iPad, the handful that don't are regretting buying their Nexus....

Try this: http://osxdaily.com/2011/12/22/iphone-home-button-not-working-or-unresponsive-fix/

Right, I've decided I can afford the new iPad with retina display. The only thing stopping me is being able to download the latest TV shows for free. There's now way to do that on an iPad is there??? Although I can do that with my phone. I can download the programmes and stream them to my telly in HD.

Also the 3G doesnt matter because I can tether the iPad to my Galaxy S3 for free!

Are apple products in the apple store to have a fiddle on before the release date???

Cheers for the link Matthew. I tried it on both, iPad was only intermittent (but doesn't function for several minutes when the problem does arise) so I will see how that goes and the iPhone had to have the home button held down multiple times before it actually functioned...suggesting that the button is definitely buggered. Not sure if the iPhone 4 is worth repairing anyway, nobody seems to care about them now the 5 is out! It can go join my old iPhone 3g and my iMac in the cupboard once my contract finishes

Everything on an ipad is made so incredibly hard to do. Trying to watch a movie, ebook or whatever is an absolute nightmare. On an android tablet it's simply a matter of plugging in a usb drive/sd card and browse to the file.

The android operating system also functions alot better, every application is consistant in it's use; menu button for options, back button to go back, home button to exit. Every application on ios devices works differently, and whenever I use an application it's not straight forward how to go to settings/menu.

However, there are alot better apps on ios.

Comparing a 400 pound iPad to a 150/200 pound Nexus? Of course the iPad will win.

iPad mini however, non-retina display - which defunct that 'pixel' comment, as the quality will be visibly different when watching movies and reading, not to mention the other things i mentioned.

If you can afford an iPad, then go for it, if you can only afford an iPad Mini, get a Nexus or equivalent instead, that's my advice. :)

They just announced the nexus 10, which is a 10" android tablet and might better suit your requirements.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/29/nexus-10-vs-the-competition-fight/

I would never purchase a tablet without any external data storage (microsd), but the ipad never had any so you should be fine.

Cheers for the link Matthew. I tried it on both, iPad was only intermittent (but doesn't function for several minutes when the problem does arise) so I will see how that goes and the iPhone had to have the home button held down multiple times before it actually functioned...suggesting that the button is definitely buggered. Not sure if the iPhone 4 is worth repairing anyway, nobody seems to care about them now the 5 is out! It can go join my old iPhone 3g and my iMac in the cupboard once my contract finishes

The other thing that's worth trying is plug the charging cable in to the dock connector. Then flex the cable back slightly - imagine the front edge of the dock connector is basically behind the home button at this point. Just do it gentry and retry the home button.

I was amazed to see that this actually worked on my iPhone 4 - the home button had basically become unusable, it's now 100% again.

Holy crap, the Nexus 10 look's amazing. Not seen the spec until then. Not retina, but holy shit who cares with that resolution.

Surely the stats show that Nexus 10 trumps the retina display???

Nexus10: 300 ppi

iPad: 264ppi

I'm no tech wizard but surely the Nexus poops all over the iPad display??

• Like 1

Sort of, Apple calls their screens 'retina' if they're over a certain pixel density. Which is genuinely worthwhile on a phone, and nice-but-not-essential on a tablet (IMO of course). But as you say, there are lots of other things about a good screen that are important (colour reproduction, brightness, viewing angle etc).

You have to wonder whether there's really any benefit in having a resolution 'better' than a retina iPhone / iPad, because your eyes aren't able to differentiate the individual pixels anyway. This is surely just specification one-upmanship? It's just about Samsung 'beating' the flagship feature of the iPad.