Rockshox Tora Problem

Joshm1991

Hey guys and gals!

I have a pair of RS Tora airs (bought second hand from a mate) on my DJ bike but the compression lever on the right stantion has packed up and just spins around.. :/ but I think it's causing more problems than just being something to twiddle when I'm not riding! :P

Every time I go to jump, the forks make a sort of banging noise as if they're "topping out"? Could that be down to the before mentioned problem?

Another thing, I don't know who it is I'd need to contact to get them repaired should I have to get them done.. Any links to websites that do servicing or repairs would be awesome!!

Cheers guys!!

Joosh

Hi, I dont know the RS Tora shocks personally but from what I know about sus forks I'd say that the air cartridge is in the left leg, the damping one in the right. Left leg only has air pressure adjust, maybe negative air pressure too but I wouldnt think that fork would have that feature. If the right leg compression adjuster is spinning its probably got a fault with the damping which could effect rebound, compression and lockout depending on what it has. Is there any more writing on the forks - like RLC, RC2 etc or a year? If you can identify the fork then have a look on the Rockshocks website for a manual http://www.sram.com/service/rockshox/7,105

Normally problems withe the damping cart is hard to fix yourself so try TF tuned shocks http://www.tftunedshox.com/ The guys wear headsets when they service shocks to ring them up ad they'll chat to you all day while they work. Can be expensive to get shocks serviced, possibly more than a Tora is worth

Good luck

Thanks for the insight into where everything's located. It does make a lot more sense now I've thought it through! :) if it had been an easy fix I think I'd have tackled it myself, but if its going to get tricky then I think I'll just leave it as is for now! I only paid 20 quid for the forks so sending it away and paying £90 for it to be fixed is a bit overkill!! :) I'll have a see what info I can get from work, maybe phone a few places but it works as it is so I might just leave it!

Cheers

Joosh

were they secondhand, they could have allready leaked.

i will need to know a few things to be 100% sure of the problem mate

your tora forks do they have a polished chrome finish on the legs or is it anodized alloy

if steel then its very likely the above problem, you can check this by taking the circlip off the damper lever and use a 24mm socket to remove the compression damper check the oil levels in there

the oil should come into contact with the compresion damper just before you screw it back in.

if its the alloy version you can check the same, if its empty try filling it back up to the correct oil level, then if it leaks again you will need a new seal head on the fork leg ( this part is not replaceble on the steel fork )

all of this is the most common faults on this fork. if it is not either of these you have a blown rebound damper and a new one will be around £50

They look like a chromed surface as apposed to an anodised alloy.. I wouldn't know exactly but it looks more chromed than anodised!! :) I'll have to have a look a bit later on as to wether or not to to strip them apart but at least I know roughly what I'm looking for!

And yeah they're on my dirt jumps bike that I've built up! :)

Cheers

Joosh

Ah, sorry, missed that. Just been thinking of putting some very short travel sus forks on my trials bike and was going to ask you how you found them. Good luck with the strip down. If you need new oil and find that mountain bike sus fork oil is really expensive, try motorbike suspension oil, tends to be cheaper.