Will this ruin my chance of claiming a new frame through warranty?

SamKidney

Should be no problem at all to have the frame swapped out. Crack at the weld is a frame defect and covered under warranty.

Just what I wanted to hear :) When you look at one of the areas of weld on the headtube it appears the weld itself has seperated/lifted from the gusset.

Just what I wanted to hear :) When you look at one of the areas of weld on the headtube it appears the weld itself has seperated/lifted from the gusset.

I have had lots of frames replace under warranty for cracks in welds or welds completely breaking. Never had an issue with other scrapes / scuffs in frame. Includeing my Schwinn frame haveing a hole in the chainstay tube from my chain rubbing on it. Schwinn replaced it with no questions asked with a 1 year newer model frame then what i had.

warranty is different from shop to shop and from different supplyers.

but yes in most cases like this a new frame would be handed out, that doesnt mean echo or other trials companys have small print in the warranty to exempt them from sorting you out

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Tarty dont loose out. Its Echo. As far as I can make sense of it, the frame is replaced, and to compensate echo send out another frame in their next order for free or make up its value another way, that way tarty dont loose the profit they made on my original purchase of the frame. Or something along those lines.

They do loose - Echo gives 3 month warranty on their frames. Whatever happens between the 3rd and 6th month of use has to be covered by the shop. Sometimes if something really strange happens, Echo might offer a discount on a new frame. However, in your case nothing "really strange" has happened.

I can sort of understand where Tarty are coming from and I'd probably do the same. The problem is that you have severely damaged the chainstay yourself, and the fact that the frame cracked elsewhere does not entitle you to a brand new product, free of the serious damage you have caused.

It doesn't really matter how long Echo's warranty is. If the shop states that it is 6 months, that's all your concerned about. And I'm sure your chances of getting a new frame are no less in the second 3 month period than in the first, so long as you're dealing with a reliable retailer which you are.

None the less, I revert to my statement about the chain damage having an influence on this. I'm an Echo dealer too and I think Tarty are being more than fair with the 50% discount. You're being given the chance to repair the damage you've caused for half the price of a new frame, rather than the full amount. They on the other hand are covering the cracked head tube.