Best way to go about removing my bash mount.

SamKidney

Actually, the weld doesn't create a stress point. If anything it adds strength, however, if you were to file/grind the weld so that it sits flush with the frame then that would create a stress point where you've thinned out the frame. All I would do is remove the main body of the mount and leave the welds alone

No, weld does create stress riser because it changes properties of material making it harder but more brittle at the same time.

No, weld does create stress riser because it changes properties of material making it harder but more brittle at the same time.

doesn't the weld affect the area directly either side of said weld? with the different flex properties of the two surfaces that causes a weak point.

Well, its done

looks good, nice work! shame about the little bit of a raw patch though, you gonna paint it to match or raw the frame? or neither :P

Im really pleased with it for my first go at something like this.

done very well for a first go there dude :D

Sure it does, but making it smooth and thinner allows it to flex more. I might be wrong though,Rob Leech could help to clear that up?

but if the flex properties are the same along the whole tube, making the transition of flex equal. then surely it would be better than having a small section that is stiffer effectively making it 3 different sections with 3 lots of different flex properties (taking into account the length difference of the tubing to)

but if the flex properties are the same along the whole tube, making the transition of flex equal. then surely it would be better than having a small section that is stiffer effectively making it 3 different sections with 3 lots of different flex properties (taking into account the length difference of the tubing to)

Flex properties aren´t the same it there is/was weld. Even after smoothing it off that part of tube won´t be the same, but closer to that than without doing it. The point is you want stress to be distributed equally over the biggest area possible. So far I´ve seen very few frames crack anywhere else other than at weld and that was pretty much always because of tube beeing dented.

My frame will last longer then :)

As you said, it is better to remove it. The mount caused one area of the tube to me stiffer than the rest, and couldnt flex as per the rest, which would have caused it to crack, just like my old one.

In removing it, while the tubing itself has different properties in areas as a result of the welding, it can flex more freely and lessen the chance of it cracking in that area.

Also means I cant hit it now, which too could/would have caused it to crack.

Edited by Echo Lite 09