Whats wrong with my wireless?

Jolfa

Can't be arsed to find a computer forum, and I know there's lots of knowledgeable folk on here! So the problem is this - I have a Netgear router and an HP Pavilion laptop.

It will only connect to the wireless if I'm literally sat next to the router, if I get more than 3 steps away then WLAN (my wireless) just disappears, kicks all other connected devices off the network and doesn't come back until I reset the router.

It's a problem with the computer because all other devices connect and work fine (provided I don't try to connect), it did the same thing with the Netgear router at my old job too. Connects to other connections fine, and still recognises other networks in the area, just f**ks mine up...

What's wrong?

check your Wi-Fi antenna in you laptop. At the bottom of your laptop, there should be a cover for e wireless card, or you sould take it apart fully. Check te cables if they are connecting well, or take apart te monitor, maybe there is the problem with the connection

Your problem is probably it is, your antenna maybe does not get te signal well

Managed to get it to work by deleting all settings for our wireless and starting again, it will however do exactly the same thing as soon as I switch off or reset...

And I have full signal at all times when it is connected, it's the most annoying thing :(

check your Wi-Fi antenna in you laptop. At the bottom of your laptop, there should be a cover for e wireless card, or you sould take it apart fully. Check te cables if they are connecting well, or take apart te monitor, maybe there is the problem with the connection

Your problem is probably it is, your antenna maybe does not get te signal well

Explain why a weak antenna signal would knock off other systems?

Explain what a monitor has to do with wireless connectivity?

Explain why taking out the wireless network card would resolve anything?

Right: have you tried setting your wireless adapter to a fixed IP address?

Connect up successfully and note the IP address, subnet and gateway issued to your PC (start > run > type cmd > type ipconfig and press enter)

You can then set your wireless adapter to a fixed IP address using the same subnet and gateway, but put your IP address out of the 'normal' range and see what happens.

For example if you get IP address 192.168.0.10, try setting it to 192.168.0.40

Explain why a weak antenna signal would knock off other systems?

Explain what a monitor has to do with wireless connectivity?

Explain why taking out the wireless network card would resolve anything?

Right: have you tried setting your wireless adapter to a fixed IP address?

Connect up successfully and note the IP address, subnet and gateway issued to your PC (start > run > type cmd > type ipconfig and press enter)

You can then set your wireless adapter to a fixed IP address using the same subnet and gateway, but put your IP address out of the 'normal' range and see what happens.

For example if you get IP address 192.168.0.10, try setting it to 192.168.0.40

At the first point you are right, I did not read that "knock off" part.

On laptops they usually lead the wires around the monitor for better signal ( but in that case it is not the problem)

The antenna cables are connecting to the wireless card, maybe the cable came loose

Thank you for help and pointing that out!