Looking at getting into trials, would like some advice.

the

Hello,

Over the years I've had many bikes including a 24" DMR and an Onza T-Pro. My key issue with both bikes was the wheel size. The 24" I used for dirt jumping and street nonsense, the Onza was supposed to be my stepping stone into learning trials and whilst I learnt a lot on it, I was never truly comfortable on the tiny wheels; this is the reason I have never gotten into BMX bikes. I am however completely competent and comfortable on a 26" mountain bike so I figured this would be the way to go on the trials scene.

Life story over, I'd like to know some entry level bikes I can look into, new or second hand. I won't discuss budget as that'll keep it open to suggestions but I'm not looking for a top flight, pro model bike. I've seen a 2nd hand Phase Mad 1.2 26" listed on PB and after giving the bike a Google it looks fine. Is this the sort of thing I should be looking for or should I avoid them completely?

All help appreciated, thank you.

I've requested some photos but the listing is as follows:

"26" Wheels - all true and straight. Light new, barely used. only used in the garden for balance improvement. no hopping about on it ever. magura hydros, alex rims, maxxis tyres, single speed"

What would you suggest changing from stock other than the Vs to Mags?

• Like 1

If it's got vee mounts, stick with vee brakes, you can get a solid setup with them, and you can get good pads. Sounds like it has maguras already though.

Normally on phase bikes the first thing to go is the gears, which is done, and then the rear hub, which you'd want to swap out for a hope pro II.

You could change the stem and bars to ones that suit you better, do this after you've ridden it and got a feel for it, and where it could be improved.

I got the bike for £142 and the fella lives under an hour away to go and collect it which is decent. Not sure what the hub is but I will know on Saturday morning and naturally give you all a spec run down! Not bad for a days work, eh!

Now I'm back on my laptop and not typing from my phone I can inform you properly about the bike.

• Frame is fine, usual cable rub marks and an incredibly shallow dent in the underside. Will be perfect to learn on and eventually upgrade to something nice.
  • Forks are Because Curved Blade in white. In fine condition, to be honest they look relatively new. I'm happy with them.
  • Brakes are HS33's that are incredibly sharp with plenty of wear left on the pads. However I will be interested to know what pads to replace with when the time comes and I'm also tempted to change the levers for the longer ones as I prefer the shape.
  • Front wheel is a white rim, (didn't get the brand), with 20mm holes drilled through laced to an Echo non-disc hub. Maxxis High Roller tyre.
  • Rear wheel is an Alex DX32 laced to a Formula freehub. The freewheel mechanism was shot and subsequently slipping when I pedalled. I took it to my local bike shop thinking it was the bottom bracket but after the mechanic chucked it about he said it would be the hub. So I'm having the existing rim laced to a brand new Hope Pro 2 T/SS... cannot wait for the beautiful freewheel noise :D Also has a Maxxis High Roller tyre.

I think everything else on the bike is stock. I'm glad I got the bike for cheap as this new wheel build will be costly. In the long run it will be worthwhile because I love the bike, I had a lot of fun on it today and can't wait to further my riding skills, and the Pro 2 is a hub for life. I can take it with me from bike to bike giving it the occasional new rim when I need to. Once I get to a competant level of riding I will consider upgrading the frame but for now I'm happy with how it is and can't wait to get it back so I can go riding!!

Edited by the
  • Like 1

Watch some videos to understand what you like/want. Buy some good bike (~1200 GBP brand new/~700+ GBP used). Ride. In case of wrong choice - switch bike.

For example - I liked street-trials videos alot, but when 1'st time I saw IRL some skilled pure trials rider I was so impressed and bought pure trials bike. It was the wrong choice and then I switched to street-trials.

Edited by clerictgm

I've requested some photos but the listing is as follows:

"26" Wheels - all true and straight. Light new, barely used. only used in the garden for balance improvement. no hopping about on it ever. magura hydros, alex rims, maxxis tyres, single speed"

What would you suggest changing from stock other than the Vs to Mags?

It's mine now :D

Good work! Fate intervened there I think, the bike I scored from eBay seems to be a better deal - minus the rear wheel haha! Was it effectively stock apart from the Mags?

Edited by the

So due to boredom and sheer annoyance at having to wait to get my bike back to ride, I've done some research into the stock version of the bike Vs what I bought off ebay.

Chainset: Suntour Duro Trials crankset with ISIS spline BB set

Brakes: Magura HS 33 hydraulic rim brakes

Tyres: Maxxis High Roller super tacky compound

Wheels: Alex trials rims and Formula hubs

Gears: SRAM 3.0 8 speed rear gear

Shifters: SRAM trigger shifter

Frame: Professional MAD team design Alloy 7005 frame with an alloy front fork

Geometry: 1075mm wheelbase, 5mm bottom bracket rise, 72.5¾ head angle

This is the spec off the website, 2x2worldwide.com and something has immediately jumped out at me from the eBay listing. "Formula hubs." So when Mr eBay said he'd bought an, "£80 rear hub that hasn't been ridden." I think he was telling big fat porkies... hence my new wheel build. That aside though I think the fact that the forks, front wheel and drivetrain have been upgraded isn't necessarily a bad thing given the price I got it for. I think it will need new rubber soon and I might want to adjust the stem/handlebar setup. All a learning curve eh!

I really don't want to wait a week to get my bike back... I can feel the bank holiday weekend going to waste. Might just sit on the floor and have a tantrum!

Edited by the

• 3 weeks later...