Help with first tricks.

Davidrvirgo

Well I know how to do the basic basic stuff(track stand, endo,wheelies,bunny hops). Today was my first proper day on my bike, I managed to do small 5 second manuals but I'm having trouble trying to do 180 endos, can oly get it to 90*. Also after a lot of trying I have no clue how to do a back hop, understand back hops take a long time but I can't even stay still on the back wheel :/

Help?

By 180 endo do you mean pivots?

There is a website called trashzen that is good if you havent seen it.

As for rear wheel hops, they are easier when you work out why you cant hold them.

To lift the front wheel make sure you pull back and not up. Your weight will be right over the back wheel. IF you pull up you will fall down straight away. Some people use a pedal kick to raise the front wheel. Also some people place their front wheel on a park bench and rock backward to learn to hop.

For me pulling a small endo then pulling back gave me the best results.

In the rear wheel hop position you will be slightly more stood up than a manual, the more stood up you are the more unbalanced you are, but you will also be more nimble and more able to hop.

Its worth doing on grass so that you can fall off the back of the bike more comfortably, this will allow you to pull back more confidently.

Once you can get to the back wheel; try balancing and not hopping, then when you feel like you are going to fall hop to stay balanced. Hopping for the sake of it didnt seem to get me any progression.

Hopping backwards is easist to start as it will stop you from dropping the front wheel. Then as i say use your other directions to stay balanced, try and aim to hop to places or stay on a particular spot.

It takes some patience but you will definitely get there.

I'm having troubles the other way around. After a couple of weeks I feel I have backhops down. I can hop up to 30/40 cm and stay balanced on the back wheel for approx 10 to 20 second before dropping to front again. I learnt it by pedal kicking and pulling back. Found my balance point quite quickly and practised to squeeze the brake at the appropriate time.

I recognize the troubles you're having with endos. I can't do a 180 either, also getting stuck at 90 degrees. I do however have problems with wheelies, not to even mention manuals.

I am authority here, since I can do 180s on railway tracks:

The difference between 90 and 180 is that the 180 comes from the back end of the bike and your lower body parts as well.

You need to swing around with hips and legs. Turning your head and shoulders towards the new direction helps in doing so.

This is true both for a fw-180 and for a jumped one.

For the fw-180: It is easier if you put some momentum in turning the steering before lifting the backwheel. Key is to be well over the bars, hips forward.

• Like 3

Hi, thanks for all the advice, went out on my bike for the 2nd time today, I can now easily get 90 degrees on my endos but when I try to twist my body or look in the direction I'm going to go I fall, hops I am getting up a lot easier as I'm now leaning and pulling back instead of up, I'll go out tonight and try on Tarmac as I did this on wet grass

Yeah as for the front pivots, its just balance, but you need to start smaller. Check out 'rocking' at 5mins in in that video, that forms the basis for pivots, and will get you into rear wheel moves easier, plus a lot of trials stuff including pivot ups.

Also check out the rockwalk i guess this is a move that you are thinking about doing, its at 42mins in. BMXers also do a brakeless version.

• 1 month later...

ooo What video are you reffering to? The link doesn't work...

There is a Trials instructional video by 'Ryan Leech' called 'mastering the art of trials'. You can usually find dodgy copies uploaded around the web if you use google video search. Or if you want a high quality copy its only $7 (£5) from his website http://shop.ryanleech.com/collections/bike-videos/products/mastering-the-art-of-trials

There is a Trials instructional video by 'Ryan Leech' called 'mastering the art of trials'. You can usually find dodgy copies uploaded around the web if you use google video search. Or if you want a high quality copy its only $7 (£5) from his website http://shop.ryanleech.com/collections/bike-videos/products/mastering-the-art-of-trials

Thank you! Bought it, so now I just have to learn all of it... :wink2: