Dismantling Echo freewheels

Greetings

After a few months of use, I find dismantling Echo freewheels becomes more and more difficult, up to the stage where it's nigh on impossible.

This is my current setup:

c1rt.jpg

li.jpg

I use 2.5mm drills which break under torque. Since the margin of error is no more than 0.05mm, I have not yet managed to get all 4 bolts in the right place so I can only use 2 at a time (some freewheels only have 2 holes anyway). I'm wondering if there's something else I can use instead of drills? Or perhaps there's a completely different approach? No hammer and screwdriver please.

I have a Park Tool SPA-3 freewheel tool but that's just useless for anything other than new freewheels. They have a bloody strong interface though, wish I could get something similar for my tool.

Furthermore, could heating up an SL freewheel affect the properties of the titanium centre bit? TR freewheels are fine with heat.

hammer and pin punch, bit destructive but does the job :)

Same here.

But only after using the end of a tool which has 2 pointy ends to try and turn it not working.

Edited by JMCD

That's pretty similar to what I tried... I had a large steel metal plate (long and thin) with holes for drill bits and a hole to put the bolt through and used the long plate as leverage..

Snapped like 12 drill bits :/ I ended up buying a new one since it was on that tight and just wouldn't budge :(

Got those DIN915 bolts, will post an update when I get them installed. They're rated at class 14 roughly but then this tiny head needs to transfer around 1200N onto the freewheel each. I've got 2 freewheels currently which won't budge so this will be a good test.

So I got these bolts, result - 1 TR freewheel dismantled with ease, SL freewheel... nope. This method transfers a *LOT* of torque, it took a lot of strength to get these bolts broken, and even then the threads in the plate are fine, so it's a 30 second job to get them replaced. I'm wondering if using an impact wrench won't help. Will try shortly. Edit: bad idea, broke instantly and the tip of the bolt is now embedded in the freewheel :P

5rtn.jpg

Tightened from the other end:

ormn.jpg

ovy.jpg

ex0t.jpg

Edited by Greetings
  • Like 1