magura mount bolt

HippY

Hey guys

well, i got my bike back everything is happy, my £70 hs33 is here aswell, but I have some problem with bolts.

I cannot turn it fully in, only half way of the hole deepness. after that half ( about a quarter of the bolt) it stuck.

my question would be, why is that, what should I do?

or just tap it/get a new bike?

well, it is the m5*25 from tarty, it is the shortest as far as I am aware

it seems that it needs a good ol` tap, a bicycle mechanic friend of mine checked it and just told me

how should I clean the threads?

How long is the bolt? Is it bottoming out in the thread. If not then tap that sucker... what you got to loose :D

well, actually you got a point :D first cleaning, than tapping

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-TAP-WRENCH-CHUCK-SET-METRIC-M5-M6-M7-M8-M10-AND-DIE-HEAVY-DUTY-THREAD-/231032233194?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item35ca981cea

would the m5 size suit me?

Edited by UKHippY

• 2 weeks later...

I sorted out by now:

I used " some" (= loads of) spacers and 2 different mounts on 2 sides. It is not looking nice, but works like a treat!

on one side I use the big magura mount with plastic washer, on the otherside I use echo washerless

well i belive the echo clamps are meant for 20mm bolts.. so probably why the wouldnt go in enough?

the threads in the frame are bad. The bolts go in only for half a centimeter

That's just insaine! But if it works it works. What's up woth the front wheel spacing?

I laced it wrong, on the right side it should be radial, but I used double crosses

I'd fear them poping out with only 5mm holding them down, there's a lot of force applied to those mounts. Any reason why you didn't re tap them?

because i could mount the brakes easily that way, and worked.

you got some pretty good point over there

To be fair, the tap you linked might not have worked too well as that type has a long lead in and wont chase the threads all the way down. A second or final tap will be better. Your bolts look like booster bolts, maybe some shorter ones will help?.

Can't help thinking prevention is better than cure.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?sbk=1&nav=SEARCH&itemId=160954004798

(Timeserts rule ;) )

Edited by f**megently

I have actuall 4 25mm bolts, just they are too... long.

so these taps would be good for me?

If i do something stupid please show it to me, I am a computer technician and Electronical Engineer, I am living kinda " in the nerd world"