Dellorto idle

Chris west

Please help .. Recently purchased a gas gas txt pro 280 2002 .. Took carb apart cleaned it.. Pilot is 30 main 145 and needle clip on its lowest setting ( richest) . The bike kicks .. Idles fine for say 30 seconds then revs like mad . Forcing me to switch it off .. Have I done something wrong .. Thanks

Please help .. Recently purchased a gas gas txt pro 280 2002 .. Took carb apart cleaned it.. Pilot is 30 main 145 and needle clip on its lowest setting ( richest) . The bike kicks .. Idles fine for say 30 seconds then revs like mad . Forcing me to switch it off .. Have I done something wrong .. Thanks

well,we had that in the apprenticeship,but in my business life i had the main focus on bicycles,hence not being deep into motors.

in theory you could increase the idle air supply or lower the valve needle.

is it what you brits would call a koppers-carb or a normal with floater?

if it was in the richest setting because of dirt inside(only readjusted to continue riding) it maybe has to be adjusted new from scratch,now that its clean.

Edited by FamilyBiker
  • Like 1

No experience of that bike and carb but have tuned bikes with dellorto carbs before, specifically the phm40 round slide.

Sounds as though your float height is to low or the fuel inlet valve is partially blocked. If the fuel level in the float bowl is to low, the engine will start to run lean which causes the revs to increase. Try resetting the float height to what is recommended by dellorto (find a manual for it) and it should cure it :)